21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wal-Mart, Marathon, Saxon, Pep-boys, Sears...all have tires made by Cooper under their own brands.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Larry:

What is the Tread Wear Rating (TWR) indicated on the sidewall of the S/T? Your post has sparked my interest in these tires.

Thanks,

- Allen.

My S/T's say this:
Tread Wear 440
Traction A
Temperature C

Have no idea what that means, but these are fantastic tires.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry N Johnson View Post
My S/T's say this:
Tread Wear 440
Traction A
Temperature C

That's great news Larry, I just picked up a set of Mastercraft Avenger GTs for my car, and my buddy has the Cooper Cobra Radial GTs; and likes his alot too. I was looking at the MTs, they were backordered on the 295 rears, and discovered these others.... at first I sort of overlooked them thinking they are just some generic garbage, but after more research and even feeling the rubber in comparison to my former Yok-Avids, wondered if there might be something here. I remember when the Yok Avids were a "cheap tire" sold by Summit almost a decade ago when the Yok 352s ran out. A friend and I said "what the heck", tried a set of Avids and loved them. Seemed like it was not too long before Superformance and others were running them on their stock rollers, etc. I'm hoping these Cooper MTs/Cobras/Mastercrafts are a similar situation to how the expired Yoks were as a less expensive option for many of us still stuck (or still preferring) 15" fat sidewall radial street tires.

FYI: The Cooper Cobra Radial GT and MasterCraft Avenger Radial GT tires (also made by Cooper) read the same thing, and even have the exact same groove pattern in the sides of the tires. So if a retailer is ever back ordered on the MTs, or someone is charging more for the MT name on the side of the tire and you want an alternative, these other two are available in the exact same sizes, made in the exact same two Cooper Cobra manufacturing plants.

Its GREAT to have some new options in decent and regular 15" street radials for our 245/295 tire combo's 'eh! A few years ago it started to look like game over until the new Avons and some of these other radials started getting produced...

Last edited by decooney; 01-21-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Where can I buy a set of Avons?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry N Johnson View Post
My S/T's say this:
Tread Wear 440
Traction A
Temperature C

I use the tread wear number as a compound "guide", generally speaking, lower the number, softer the compound.

The Hoosier A6/R6's are a 40 (if I remember correctly) and the Avon's are 80.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

http://www.avonracing.com/
Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M. Poklas View Post
You can get Avons through Roger Kraus Racing or SascoSports.

http://rogerkrausracing.com/

http://www.sascosports.com/products/...php?type_id=39
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Default Goodyear Eagle GTIIs with 2,400 miles..

Tires have been SOLD.

- Allen.

Last edited by Fullchat289; 02-26-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M. Poklas View Post
What part of the country do you live in???
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
I use the tread wear number as a compound "guide", generally speaking, lower the number, softer the compound.

The Hoosier A6/R6's are a 40 (if I remember correctly) and the Avon's are 80.
The tyre rating system isn't quite that simple. The UTQS (Uniform Tyre Quality grading System) for treadwear / traction / temperature ratings is an attempt to have a system for comparison of tyre properties. It’ s not perfect for a number of reason, but it at least provides some guidance.

Treadwear is based on a reference tyre that has a rating of 100, so a rating of 40 means the tyre will last 40% as long. Nothing else implied.

The traction rating is closer to a 'compound guide'. It is however a tyre’s traction rating on a wet road. Traction is rated as AA, A, B or C. AA is of course the highest rating.

Temperature is rated as A, B or C. It indicates a tyre’s resistance to building up heat (ie combination of generation and dissipation of heat). A is the highest rating.

Hope that helps.
Glen
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Temperature is rated as A, B or C. It indicates a tyre’s resistance to building up heat (ie combination of generation and dissipation of heat). A is the highest rating.
Some racing tires will carry a B rating for heat as they're designed to hold more heat for more traction. Agreed that A is the best rating for a street tire however.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
The tyre rating system isn't quite that simple. The UTQS (Uniform Tyre Quality grading System) for treadwear / traction / temperature ratings is an attempt to have a system for comparison of tyre properties. It’ s not perfect for a number of reason, but it at least provides some guidance.

Treadwear is based on a reference tyre that has a rating of 100, so a rating of 40 means the tyre will last 40% as long. Nothing else implied.

The traction rating is closer to a 'compound guide'. It is however a tyre’s traction rating on a wet road. Traction is rated as AA, A, B or C. AA is of course the highest rating.

Hope that helps.
Glen
Thanks Glen, I have read the UTQS, I thought by my using the word "guide" was suffice to indicate the relative inaccurate nature of the rating. .
The UTQS mentions, it is common for DOT racing tyres to be assigned very low values - sometimes even zero.
So, IMHO, a tire with a WR of 80 will PROBABLY be softer than one with 440 WR. This information, IMHO, can be a usefull part of the equation (as well as speed rating, reviews, recommendations etc) in choosing a specific performance catagory of tires - Extreme, Max, Ultra, Grand Touring etc.

Of course with race tires, actual testing is the only way to determine what the best compound is for that individual/car/race.

................uh, nevermind
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Thanks Glen, I have read the UTQS, I thought by my using the word "guide" was suffice to indicate the relative inaccurate nature of the rating. .
The UTQS mentions, it is common for DOT racing tyres to be assigned very low values - sometimes even zero.
So, IMHO, a tire with a WR of 80 will PROBABLY be softer than one with 440 WR. This information, IMHO, can be a usefull part of the equation (as well as speed rating, reviews, recommendations etc) in choosing a specific performance catagory of tires - Extreme, Max, Ultra, Grand Touring etc.

Of course with race tires, actual testing is the only way to determine what the best compound is for that individual/car/race.

................uh, nevermind
Agreed, a treadwear rating of 80 ……..uh, doesn’t matter.
The system, and seat-of-the-pants, won’t always agree with reality. I had some Pirelli P5s years ago that were sensational in the wet, but confused me by lasting 55000 miles on one axle and 59000 on the other.
Glen
Old 05-24-2020, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I'm now researching 15" tires as well. This is a old thread but, but any up dates on your selections ?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I have now logged +/- 50k miles on Avon’s. I think I am on my 6th set but have long since lost track. If you buy a set you will be hooked. You will never be satisfied with anything else.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

I'm having a hell of a time deciding on tires. Shouldn't be this tough. lol

You must drive yours a lot. There's a lot of people that can put a lot of money into their cars, but those of us that can't, $2k for just tires is hard to swallow. Plus shipping and mounting and balancing....

If I do purchase them, I'll either buy the Rubber letters spelling AVON RACING or GOOD YEAR EAGLE.

How are they as throwing pebbles like the Billboards ?
Can you still break them loose for fun or too sticky ?

In life, I'm always reaching for the best of all worlds.

Do you think that there's enough interest here and on other forums, to have a Group Buy for AVON's ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 05-24-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Best advice: Do not skimp on the tires, they have the biggest impact on performance and enjoyment.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

How much HP do you have? Avon’s aren’t the best street tire imo. I’ve have the Avon’s and the mickey Thompson sr’s. I like the SR’s for the street better. A fresh set are ok for the track also.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
How much HP do you have? Avon’s aren’t the best street tire imo. I’ve have the Avon’s and the mickey Thompson sr’s. I like the SR’s for the street better. A fresh set are ok for the track also.
what is it about the SR's that make them a better street tires for you?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Curious as to what you don't like about the Avon's as a street tire and why you prefer the SR's. I have a LOT of street and track miles on Avon's. I personally have never found anything not to like about them but am very interested to learn.