View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

FYI for guys in Ohio:

Last year, State Rep. Kenny Yuko, District 7, sponsored HB 199 of the 128th Session of the Ohio General Assembly. There were 10 cosponsors to the bill. That bill was the SEMA bill which would allow street rods/ custom cars to be titled as the year the car represents. The definition of street rods/customs in the bill included replica Cobras. The title would register the car as the year it represents with the entry "r”, for replica, following the final digit of the model year on the certificate of title. This bill made it through committee and was to come up in the House for a vote. It never came up for a vote on the House floor. As I understand it, some (many?) of the scheduled legislative sessions never occurred. Last year was an election year and I expect that getting reelected was more important to the legislators than doing the business of the state. Bottom line…HB 199 was not passed.

Earlier this year, I contacted Rep. Yuko’s office to inquire about the status of HB 199. The note I received from his Aide indicated the 128th Session was over and that the bill would have to be reintroduced into the 129th Session (this year’s Session). As I understand it, the whole process must start over as nothing carries over from the previous legislative session. Also in the note, the Aide indicated that Rep. Yuko had not decided whether or not he would reintroduce the bill this year. Checking the Ohio State Legislature website, there is currently no indication that Rep. Yuko has reintroduced the bill nor has any other Rep. or Senator reintroduced the bill. Bottom line…It ain’t happening this year.

I cannot speak for the Ohio Cobra Club but I am aware that some guys there are going to get involved in an effort to get the bill reintroduced (probably for next year). It was asked if this bill did pass and become law, could cars already titled in the state (like my 2010 self assembled vehicle) be re-titled under the new law. My opinion was that this likely would not be allowed but others have disagreed with me on this. Allowing our cars to be re-titled would certainly be the best case scenario.