Thread: CorVace Photos!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I helped build the CorVace car in 56 with Roger Wing and the first time it ran in compitition was at VIR. It cracked the front Alfin aluminum brake drums. The engine was a crate 56 Chev engine. A journeyman body man who knew how to work aluminum made the inverted hood scoop by hand at the shop where we build the car in Wheaton, MD. We didn't eeven have to repaint it. I"m sure the engine was a 265 CI. Roger ordered the engine through a chevy Dealer in Bethesda, MD, in 55. It was put into a Morris Minor custom roadster at that time, which needless to say was almost undrivable with the small street tires. It would spin the rear wheels in forth gear at any speed above 50 mph. We set the engine back as far as we could when we built the Ace and it handled pretty damn good. We had to tighten all the allen screws in the rear suspension after every outing as it wasn't designed to handle the torque of the Chevy. If we had had disc brakes availible for it, it would have been a very competitive car. The chassis was ordered from AC complete with out driveline. Shelby saw the car at VIR and really looked it over and asked lots of questions. It's always galled me that he never mentioned that fact when talking about his cars. I wish I had the pictures to show the build, but Roger's wife Helen had them and lost them in a move to Arkansaw when Roger retired and moved. Hope this helped!

Last edited by ovlov1; 03-26-2011 at 01:16 PM..