View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Hi Guys! Let's have a little fun with this. I don't want to build a new motor, just want to do a little bench racing. The tread elsewhere on this forum about horsepower from a 351 Windsor and most people didn't seem to think it would make over 350 hp. Seeing that I used to help a friend with a supercomp car (8.90 class) you see all sorts of combos in it. You saw all iron small block chevys carbuerated on gas to what looked like it could have been an injected nitro car. Some cars in excess of 600 in. Some of these cars should have been running in the mid 6's according to the way they looked. Obviously there is a big difference in what some people think you need in equipment to go 8.90. So in this thread, what do you guys think I need to make my 65 stickshift Mustang run in the 13.10 to 12.90 range? Rules: 302 deck highth based engine, must be able to run on cheapest gas you can find, must be plenty driveable (150 mile round trip to the track). What rear gears do you think it will need, heads, etc? Car and driver 3250 pounds. Thanks, Mark
for comparison,my 65 Mustang Fastback is within 100 pounds of your weight,pure street car,runs from high 12.90's to 13.10's depending on the weather and track....drive it to and from the track on 93 octane pump gas...
here's what I have in it:351-W,about 325hp,probably 350 ft.lbs of torque, running a Tremec 5 speed (3.27 first gear), 3.25 rear gears in 9" with a standard Ford Trac-Loc in it, this is on drag radials, not street tires...on my regular street tires,the best I could do was around 13.50s....
I would think you would need at least the same hp/torque in a 302 which is not hard to do, drag radials and if your running a toploader (2.87 first gear) you would need at least a 3.50 rear gear.....
It can be done fairly easy,just need the right parts and pieces.....

David