View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     
Default NJ titling, registration, and emissions

After many months and many mistakes my ERA is finally road legal in NJ. The only saving grace of this whole affair is that it was over the winter so I did not lose any driving time. I want to let everyone know what they will have to go through so they do not make the same mistakes I did.

It all started when I bought ERA 2054 that was titled as a 2005 composite build in Connecticut. Transferring the title and registering the car to my name in NJ was easy enough, getting the emissions tested was the real problem. All newer model cars no longer use the tailpipe sniffer test they must have an onboard diagnostic computer the state/private emissions facility just plugs into. You just cannot fake this test at your buddy’s garage because the onboard computer is what identifies the vehicle to the state DMV. Even if your car would pass the sniffer test they cannot perform the test unless the state gives the facility special permission to test your car.

I was forced to surrender my title and go through the whole NJ specialty/reconstructed vehicle titling process. Yes that’s right my car was title less for the last 4 months. Filling out all the paper work and finding all the serial numbers on and car (Engine block, transmission, rear, etc) is easy enough but it takes time and even more time for the state to process the information.

After the state accepts your application you must make an appointment at one of the three NJ specialty vehicle inspection sights (Morristown, Asbury, and Winslow). Depending on the facility you choose getting this appointment can take over a month.

Passing this inspection is very subjective and I have heard many a horror story, it really depends on which inspector you get and his mood at the time. Make sure your car is in perfect running order with bumpers (no quick jacks), windshield wipers, muffler (quiet pipes), seat belts, and brackets front and rear for license plate, just to name a few. Not to go into every detail let’s just say the better the build the better your chances are of passing. My examination was nearly 2 hours long with the inspector going through the entire car with a fine tooth comb, even with him saying it was one of the best built cars he has ever seen. Which is a real testament to the craftsmanship of Peter & Bob up at ERA for doing such a wonderful job on the car.

The emissions test will not be performed at this time, but the inspector will determine what year the vehicle must comply regarding the specific year of the engine block, and will check for all the necessary smog control devises i.e. catalytic converter, PCV valve, EGR Valve, etc. If you do not have these devises on your vehicle to comply to the year of the block you will fail.

If you pass, and I did (Thank God) you will be given an official document that will tell an emissions inspection facility know how they should inspect your car. You will need to wait a couple weeks for you new title to arrive in the mail then you go to your local DMV and get our car registered. Now you can finally go to either as state or private emissions inspection facility. I highly recommend a friendly private facility, but you have to call around to find one that still does the sniffer test (most do not anymore).

So after all this and a lot of tinkering with my carburetor I passed, and will happily be putting miles on my car as soon as it warms up.

The whole process was quite subjective so what worked for me might not work for everyone, but I just want to give a little advice to anyone considering purchasing a cobra that is already titled out of state in regards to emissions.

1. Purchase a car with an engine block of 1974 or older, because you will only need a PCV valve and no cats. I believe 1968 or older and you won’t even have to get the emissions tested at all.

2. Purchase a car that is titled as a vintage cobra (ie a real 1964-1966 cobra). I would not try to get vintage plate because that could open up a huge can of worms, but just a regular registration.

3. And most important make sure it is in perfect running order (unless you want to do the work before you get it inspected).

4. Or you could always just buy a car already registered in NJ

If anyone needs any help or has any questions please ask, I’m here to help.

John