17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     
Default NJ titling, registration, and emissions

After many months and many mistakes my ERA is finally road legal in NJ. The only saving grace of this whole affair is that it was over the winter so I did not lose any driving time. I want to let everyone know what they will have to go through so they do not make the same mistakes I did.

It all started when I bought ERA 2054 that was titled as a 2005 composite build in Connecticut. Transferring the title and registering the car to my name in NJ was easy enough, getting the emissions tested was the real problem. All newer model cars no longer use the tailpipe sniffer test they must have an onboard diagnostic computer the state/private emissions facility just plugs into. You just cannot fake this test at your buddy’s garage because the onboard computer is what identifies the vehicle to the state DMV. Even if your car would pass the sniffer test they cannot perform the test unless the state gives the facility special permission to test your car.

I was forced to surrender my title and go through the whole NJ specialty/reconstructed vehicle titling process. Yes that’s right my car was title less for the last 4 months. Filling out all the paper work and finding all the serial numbers on and car (Engine block, transmission, rear, etc) is easy enough but it takes time and even more time for the state to process the information.

After the state accepts your application you must make an appointment at one of the three NJ specialty vehicle inspection sights (Morristown, Asbury, and Winslow). Depending on the facility you choose getting this appointment can take over a month.

Passing this inspection is very subjective and I have heard many a horror story, it really depends on which inspector you get and his mood at the time. Make sure your car is in perfect running order with bumpers (no quick jacks), windshield wipers, muffler (quiet pipes), seat belts, and brackets front and rear for license plate, just to name a few. Not to go into every detail let’s just say the better the build the better your chances are of passing. My examination was nearly 2 hours long with the inspector going through the entire car with a fine tooth comb, even with him saying it was one of the best built cars he has ever seen. Which is a real testament to the craftsmanship of Peter & Bob up at ERA for doing such a wonderful job on the car.

The emissions test will not be performed at this time, but the inspector will determine what year the vehicle must comply regarding the specific year of the engine block, and will check for all the necessary smog control devises i.e. catalytic converter, PCV valve, EGR Valve, etc. If you do not have these devises on your vehicle to comply to the year of the block you will fail.

If you pass, and I did (Thank God) you will be given an official document that will tell an emissions inspection facility know how they should inspect your car. You will need to wait a couple weeks for you new title to arrive in the mail then you go to your local DMV and get our car registered. Now you can finally go to either as state or private emissions inspection facility. I highly recommend a friendly private facility, but you have to call around to find one that still does the sniffer test (most do not anymore).

So after all this and a lot of tinkering with my carburetor I passed, and will happily be putting miles on my car as soon as it warms up.

The whole process was quite subjective so what worked for me might not work for everyone, but I just want to give a little advice to anyone considering purchasing a cobra that is already titled out of state in regards to emissions.

1. Purchase a car with an engine block of 1974 or older, because you will only need a PCV valve and no cats. I believe 1968 or older and you won’t even have to get the emissions tested at all.

2. Purchase a car that is titled as a vintage cobra (ie a real 1964-1966 cobra). I would not try to get vintage plate because that could open up a huge can of worms, but just a regular registration.

3. And most important make sure it is in perfect running order (unless you want to do the work before you get it inspected).

4. Or you could always just buy a car already registered in NJ

If anyone needs any help or has any questions please ask, I’m here to help.

John
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

John, your one lucky fella. I'm sure many will appreciate the info given here. I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles out there, but... Now at least you can enjoy the car and drive it legally. Matt
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Which inspection station did you take the car to?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Which inspection station did you take the car to?
Sounds like Asbury Park to me

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Matt, I'm looking forward to the warm weather, and putting some miles on the car. I can't tell you how many times I thought about how easy this could have been if I had just bought your car..

Jay, I went to the Winslow inspection sight and I think that is what made all the difference. I rented an open uhaul trailer wrapped the car up like a Christmas present and made the drive in the middle of a snow storm...scary
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Title it in Florida and after a year transfer it to NJ.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Better yet move to NY and you only get a safety inspection, 10 minutes and out of there$10.00.
Lou
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations John. I am glad everything worked out well.

Charlie
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Congratulations and glad that everything worked out for you in time for the nice weather. Just as an aside, once you get the approval from the roadworthy inspection, you can go to Trenton and get your plates right away. That's what I did.

It isn't easy to find a private inspection station set up to do the smog test with the sniffer any more, most only hook-up to the computer; as I understand it, the sniffer equipment is much more expensive, so most didn't bother to get it.

-Ray
Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Reading this brought back all the misery like it was yesterday...what a PITA NJ is. I'm glad it's over for you. Now have fun driving.

I also went to Trenton to pick up my plates. That really was no fun either!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed, find a private inspection sight that does the sniffer test. It took me a couple phone calls but after an hour or so I found one that still does it, most only do it with the computer. I had to comply to 1974 emissions, which I not very stringent, but it still took about a hours worth of tinkering with the carb to get it to pass.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Some updated info on this topic. The office in Trenton for Special Titles is no longer open for walk-ins. So the final phase of getting the title must all be done by mail now. Don't bother driving up there.

Also, if anyone can recommend a friendly emissions test station (private) in the Morristown area I have a customer looking for help on that front. It is a 1970 engine so it will need sniffer and some cough syrup.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Some updated info on this topic. The office in Trenton for Special Titles is no longer open for walk-ins. So the final phase of getting the title must all be done by mail now. Don't bother driving up there.

Also, if anyone can recommend a friendly emissions test station (private) in the Morristown area I have a customer looking for help on that front. It is a 1970 engine so it will need sniffer and some cough syrup.
He will need to find a private station that does trucks as they still have the sniffer. Calling around is best.

If he's willing to drive down to Princeton, he can go to Fowler's Gulf at 271 Nassau Street in Princeton.609-921-9707 They did my car so are now familiar with the procedure for adjusting the computer to do the proper emissions and have the sniffer. He should bring his letter as they will make a copy of it, and call for an appointment.

Hope this helps
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks. He has a station that can do it but they need the instruction for how to adjust the computer for a 2011 car with 1970 engine. I will pass on the info.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks. He has a station that can do it but they need the instruction for how to adjust the computer for a 2011 car with 1970 engine. I will pass on the info.
I did watch them do it when they did mine.

They enter the car as being a 2011 car and walk through several screens to where it asks about engine/emissions; on that screen the year will appear as 2011, but it can be changed to any year by entering the year for the emissions check. They also can call their contact at Trenton for instructions.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Dover Auto Repair (not 100% sure of the name now that construction is over) on the Corner of RT46W and RT15N. They always did my Cobras without a problem.

Bill S.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ffr, 4.6 mustang gt
Not Ranked     
Default nj title question?

going threw the same process, passed the inspection, title is in my hand, reads 1965/rec/cus, what does yours read? was not given any info or paperwork on what year it will be tested on? does the title year indicate the emissions standard? the inspection techs barely said a word to me, called special titling salvage/reconstruct in NJ dmv did not know, they forwarded me to registration/plates dept was told year on title determines the emissions standards?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketlist View Post
going threw the same process, passed the inspection, title is in my hand, reads 1965/rec/cus, what does yours read? was not given any info or paperwork on what year it will be tested on? does the title year indicate the emissions standard? the inspection techs barely said a word to me, called special titling salvage/reconstruct in NJ dmv did not know, they forwarded me to registration/plates dept was told year on title determines the emissions standards?
Your car is emissions exempt, go down to your local DMV and get yourself a set of plates (do not attempt QQ "historic" or "collectors" registration).

Bill S.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ffr, 4.6 mustang gt
Not Ranked     
Default thanks for the info

thanks will do, went today to pick up the forms at wayne dmv, nobody was there! no lines no waiting! lol

Last edited by bucketlist; 12-18-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketlist View Post
thanks will do, went today to pick up the forms at wayne dmv, nobody was there! nol ines no waiting! lol
No lines at WAYNE DMV on RT23 OMGGGGGGGGGGG

Can't say I've even been that lucky at Wayne, Morristown or Succasunna, not ever......

Now, Washington Township on RT57, that is a whole other story as I am not sure there is anyone that even knows it exists

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: