Thread: Newbie here
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

I had a budget to spend on a cobra including upgrades or what ever might arrise. I didn't know what to expect... I wanted a used one since it was my first time at owning a cobra. I had specific things I wanted which made a good base to start from in a cobra. I wanted one that was used for street and cruising.

Make sure the frame and body are in good shape. No structural cracks in the body. You'll see some small minor ones here and there if it's a driven cobra. Inspect the frame for any broken welds or damage from hitting anything etc. Check for over all tidyness. Meaning how wires, brake lines, hoses are routed. If things are arranged neatly in the engine,cockpit or underneath. This gives you an idea of the thought process when it was built. Maticulous or slapped together.

I looked at a 351 windsor because they were easy to work on and had a lot of parts available. It was just the right horse power for me 375+ hp range.

I wanted Disk brakes all around, a hydraulic clutch, 15 inch wheels with big rubber.

A 5 speed manual for highway driving with 3.50 or less for rear gears, and a 9" ford rearend.

Make sure there are no over heating issues and check for leaks. In my case the cobra I purchased had leaks but were fixed by replacing the seals and gaskets.

The best thing I did was to get my engine Dynoed, tuned and jetted. Never run these engines lean..It really increased my horse power, performance and brought the engine temp down since it was running properly now.

I replaced all of the fluids immediately. I put in Royal purple oil (synthetic). Replaced transmission, clutch and brake fluid. I put in Royal purple transmission fluid It shifts really easy.
New Brakes for my peace of mind.

I then drove it for a while to get used to it's manners and comfort level. Then over the winter I upgraded the suspension, replaced the fuel pump, added a manual choke ( best thing for a carb engine. It starts the first time everytime.)

Good luck I hope this helps...It might seem a bit overwhelming but once you get into it you'll learn alot about your car. The guys and gals on here are great.... I 've learned alot from everyone on here. They really know their stuff so you'll never be alone when it comes to roadblocks.

Lee

Last edited by Leecbr; 06-12-2011 at 09:51 AM..