Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: not yet
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie here

Can I ask some (maybe dumb) questions?
I'm looking to buy a cobra and my head is whirling. Maybe some of you have been there? It seems I can buy a completed car for less than building one. Next question-what manufacturers car? I'm amazed at the number of kit manufactures out there and the wide range of prices. How do I know who's kit is good? Prices are all over the place. And everyone thinks their car is the best.
I bought Curt Scott's 'The complete Guide to Cobra Replicas" and there is some good info in it but not enough to make a decision. I've been looking for months so I have some idea about quality:Kirkham,Superformance,ERA but I can't find much about Comtemporary. And they are not mentioned in "The complete Guide."
Do you guys like your cars? Would you do anything diffent? Anything I should look out for?
If you take the time to answer-THANK YOU , Ron
Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

remove deleted

Last edited by Cobra446; 06-03-2011 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: delete
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Ron, being dizzy is only the beginning....
Curts book is a good read and holds plenty of valuable info. and yes it stops short of telling you which "Kit"to buy.....thats your decision.....NOW, you can in todays economy buy a completed and sorted out running, stopping car for less than you can build a "kit"for HOWEVER if you have the desire to build a "Kit" then buy all means DO IT...the companies that are in business today are for the most part quality companies with quality product otherwise they would not last long....you cheat someone now and the internet will get you....PLEASE take your time in this most diffacult decision to purchase the most expensive and fun toy you will own...dont cheat yourself...talk to local owners and lots of questions and maybe even get a ride....good luck on your search and keep us posted on your progress....
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

That question is like asking us what kind of woman should you marry. The one that works best for you! To post a list with the order of best to worst would end up being the most hotly contested and argued thread on this site. The best is the one that meets your individual criteria for color, design, performance, type of use, and future disposition, at the highest quality of build and lowest price. Good luck in your search and post pictures of potential purchases and your criteria. We will much more helpful when you do that.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was in your same boat. It all boiled down to what I could afford to spend to achieve the end result. For me , it is a pay as you go . I couldn't do the 40-50k upfront buy in. I researched the kits and looked very closely at the Hurricane kit. I ended up with an untouched Contemporary that was never started by the original owner. There are quite a few "deals" out there.

I would figure out how much you want to spend and how soon you want to spend it and go from there.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

I had a budget to spend on a cobra including upgrades or what ever might arrise. I didn't know what to expect... I wanted a used one since it was my first time at owning a cobra. I had specific things I wanted which made a good base to start from in a cobra. I wanted one that was used for street and cruising.

Make sure the frame and body are in good shape. No structural cracks in the body. You'll see some small minor ones here and there if it's a driven cobra. Inspect the frame for any broken welds or damage from hitting anything etc. Check for over all tidyness. Meaning how wires, brake lines, hoses are routed. If things are arranged neatly in the engine,cockpit or underneath. This gives you an idea of the thought process when it was built. Maticulous or slapped together.

I looked at a 351 windsor because they were easy to work on and had a lot of parts available. It was just the right horse power for me 375+ hp range.

I wanted Disk brakes all around, a hydraulic clutch, 15 inch wheels with big rubber.

A 5 speed manual for highway driving with 3.50 or less for rear gears, and a 9" ford rearend.

Make sure there are no over heating issues and check for leaks. In my case the cobra I purchased had leaks but were fixed by replacing the seals and gaskets.

The best thing I did was to get my engine Dynoed, tuned and jetted. Never run these engines lean..It really increased my horse power, performance and brought the engine temp down since it was running properly now.

I replaced all of the fluids immediately. I put in Royal purple oil (synthetic). Replaced transmission, clutch and brake fluid. I put in Royal purple transmission fluid It shifts really easy.
New Brakes for my peace of mind.

I then drove it for a while to get used to it's manners and comfort level. Then over the winter I upgraded the suspension, replaced the fuel pump, added a manual choke ( best thing for a carb engine. It starts the first time everytime.)

Good luck I hope this helps...It might seem a bit overwhelming but once you get into it you'll learn alot about your car. The guys and gals on here are great.... I 've learned alot from everyone on here. They really know their stuff so you'll never be alone when it comes to roadblocks.

Lee

Last edited by Leecbr; 06-12-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your responses!
My buddy just got a Shell Valley (older one) and I've ridden and even drove it a few times. While very fun to drive I noticed it has a lot of "body shake". Is this normal? Should I expect the same from all kits?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I have buddy with a Shell Valley too. My first impression riding in it BEFORE my car was done was "Oh crap this isn't good!" Then I got my car together and it's NO comparison!! No rattles, no excessive body roll, no jerky responses under hard acceleration! It runs, drives and performs like a true sports car! Unlike my friends car. The difference between these two cars is about 15K in price too. You get what you pay for. It's the same with Cobra's as it is with anything else out there! Wait and find the right project or wait and get a really good kit that's already sorted out! Regards, Matt
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

A few questions that will help guide suggestions for your search.
  • How are you going to use the car (e.g., track, street, drag race)?
  • What's your budget?
  • What attributes are most important to you (e.g., originality, modern upgrades, handling, fiberglass/aluminum body)?
  • Are you capable of/interested in building your own car, or do you want a roller/finished car?
Once you answer these basic questions it should help narrow your search.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Ron;
This is your lucky day! Just a hop, skip, and a jump from you in Carlisle, PA ia the annual Import and Kit Car show at the fair grounds. It starts today and runs through Sunday. It's not as good as it used to be but you should see plenty of Cobras from owners and manufacturers. This site will help you : http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/. Bring a raincoat.
Bill Stradtner
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

Ford guy,

My friend bought an older Naf Cobra. He had alot of body shakes etc. We lifted it and torqued all of the engine mounts, body mounts, and exhaust header bolts. I couldn't believe how loose they were. We then went through the suspension, transmission mounts, rear end mounts, and anything else with a bolt on it. They were loose too.

I think these cars need to have a good run through and inspection annually. These cars rattle as it is and the bolts loosen. I check mine often and find a few here and there that need a little torqueing.

If you hear alot of squeeking try to wd40 the bushings..they tend to do that over time.

Hopefully this will help..
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

It's a difficult decision to build or buy. It's really hard to determine a good kit company from a bad one in your beginning stages of learning about these cars. There are really not that many people that have a broad range of knowledge about the pros and cons of building various brands. You have to have the experience of building more than just one brand, and that is the problem. Everyone has an opinion, but what experience is that opinion based on. Has the person giving advice built a car or bought their car.

I talked to one manufacturer a few years back that admitted his car was an older design, but it could be made to be a really good car. Another friend has built three cars all from the same company, but admits some problem areas with the car. When you are building and learn how to address and fix the shortcomings with the one brand it is easier to stay with that brand than start the learning curve all over again. The term “kit” may apply to some cars but not others. Some you can follow the instructions like doing a model plane and complete it. Others call theirs a “kit” but it is nothing more than selling you the basic parts and you figure it out. The quality of the manual is very telling.

One thing for sure, there are very few that will bad mouth their car brand in an open forum. They do not want their company to go out of business and the value of their car to be less. The other side of that is, even if the kit was not that good many builders put their heart and soul into the car and can make it better than originally designed. The car becomes part of you and what you can do.

In deciding to build or to buy you really need to honestly evaluate your mechanical skills and knowledge, and then do you have the tools and the building space to complete the car. One manufacturer told me that there are a large percentage of cars that are never built. A lot of kit buyers are over their heads. If you want to build talk to builders and ask them the likes and dislikes of the build. Ask the company you think you want to go with the names and numbers of the last ten or so people that bought kits. Call them and ask how things have gone. The best guys with information are the ones that have completed their car. Many times you go back and do things over when you realize how one thing relates to another. I talked to a guy two months ago that built his car and the next year he tore it all apart and stated over again.

Regarding buying a used car Leecbr's advice is pretty good, but I would add take someone with you that has experience to look at cars. Pay him to come with you if needs be. It will be worth it.

Wayne
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey! Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hey FORD guy

I own a shell valley.After looking and driving all and seeing the manufacturing plants for 2 years I went with SV.I don't know what the rattles where in the thread before but none of the sv cars had rattles, body leans or any of the problems others have.I was so impressed by the service and thickness of the body and how it was molded and bonded that I called DANA at SV and ordered it on the spot.You won't be sorry.If you went to this past carlisle show you would have seen my blue with silver striped car at shell Valley booth with the all chrome 427 dual quad engine on display.Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by jojoegen; 06-12-2011 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: want email notification