Thread: Newbie here
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

It's a difficult decision to build or buy. It's really hard to determine a good kit company from a bad one in your beginning stages of learning about these cars. There are really not that many people that have a broad range of knowledge about the pros and cons of building various brands. You have to have the experience of building more than just one brand, and that is the problem. Everyone has an opinion, but what experience is that opinion based on. Has the person giving advice built a car or bought their car.

I talked to one manufacturer a few years back that admitted his car was an older design, but it could be made to be a really good car. Another friend has built three cars all from the same company, but admits some problem areas with the car. When you are building and learn how to address and fix the shortcomings with the one brand it is easier to stay with that brand than start the learning curve all over again. The term “kit” may apply to some cars but not others. Some you can follow the instructions like doing a model plane and complete it. Others call theirs a “kit” but it is nothing more than selling you the basic parts and you figure it out. The quality of the manual is very telling.

One thing for sure, there are very few that will bad mouth their car brand in an open forum. They do not want their company to go out of business and the value of their car to be less. The other side of that is, even if the kit was not that good many builders put their heart and soul into the car and can make it better than originally designed. The car becomes part of you and what you can do.

In deciding to build or to buy you really need to honestly evaluate your mechanical skills and knowledge, and then do you have the tools and the building space to complete the car. One manufacturer told me that there are a large percentage of cars that are never built. A lot of kit buyers are over their heads. If you want to build talk to builders and ask them the likes and dislikes of the build. Ask the company you think you want to go with the names and numbers of the last ten or so people that bought kits. Call them and ask how things have gone. The best guys with information are the ones that have completed their car. Many times you go back and do things over when you realize how one thing relates to another. I talked to a guy two months ago that built his car and the next year he tore it all apart and stated over again.

Regarding buying a used car Leecbr's advice is pretty good, but I would add take someone with you that has experience to look at cars. Pay him to come with you if needs be. It will be worth it.

Wayne