View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Wieand Pump, High Flow...Is it?

I'd like to know if I should replace this pump with an Edelbrock (Aluminum) or a FlowKooler (Iron), or if I can just mount an aluminum disc to the impeller, very much like what used to be offered from FlowKooler to modify these types of impellers. The stock impeller looks completely different as it's cast iron as well, not stamped steel. The plate which I'm referring to would mount to the impeller and provide a more direct path for the water to the outlets. The rusty stock pump has this feature and it also has a hole in each impeller cavity. As far as I can figure, there are already pressure relief zones around the outer perimeter of the impeller as both of these impeller designs have a smaller diameter than the impeller cavity.

There is not a huge problem with the cooling system other than it runs 195 to 200 without a thermostat. This really means that I have no excess cooling capability if running in traffic or cruizing. Normally cooling systems are designed to have excess cooling capacity, thus opening and closing the thermostat to provide flow through the radiator. I have a shrouded 3000 CFM temperature controlled Flex-a-lite fan. I just would like to put a good pump back in and also give extra cooling, flow capacity where I can.

If anyone owns an Edelbrock or FlowKooler (or any other brand for that matter) can you elaborate on differences in the impeller design which are an improvement on my Wieand? Photos of an Edelbrock 429/460 water pump impeller would be appreciated if you can provide something to compare.

Thanks,
Xack
Attached Images