Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Wieand Pump, High Flow...Is it?

I'd like to know if I should replace this pump with an Edelbrock (Aluminum) or a FlowKooler (Iron), or if I can just mount an aluminum disc to the impeller, very much like what used to be offered from FlowKooler to modify these types of impellers. The stock impeller looks completely different as it's cast iron as well, not stamped steel. The plate which I'm referring to would mount to the impeller and provide a more direct path for the water to the outlets. The rusty stock pump has this feature and it also has a hole in each impeller cavity. As far as I can figure, there are already pressure relief zones around the outer perimeter of the impeller as both of these impeller designs have a smaller diameter than the impeller cavity.

There is not a huge problem with the cooling system other than it runs 195 to 200 without a thermostat. This really means that I have no excess cooling capability if running in traffic or cruizing. Normally cooling systems are designed to have excess cooling capacity, thus opening and closing the thermostat to provide flow through the radiator. I have a shrouded 3000 CFM temperature controlled Flex-a-lite fan. I just would like to put a good pump back in and also give extra cooling, flow capacity where I can.

If anyone owns an Edelbrock or FlowKooler (or any other brand for that matter) can you elaborate on differences in the impeller design which are an improvement on my Wieand? Photos of an Edelbrock 429/460 water pump impeller would be appreciated if you can provide something to compare.

Thanks,
Xack
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Xack,

Not sure I understand the problem

I have a 521 in my Cobra and a 557 in a Zephyr wagon. Both have stock Edelbrock water pumps (sorry no photos) which seem to move enough coolant to prevent major problems.

Both are extremely sensitive to trapped air in the system. The Zephyr has a smaller radiator and a very restrictive engine compartment (read: overstuffed) so it has a bit more load than the Cobra.

Each has a thermostat, either 170 or 180.

The Cobra will idle literally for an hour on a 98 degree day with NO problems. The Zephyr will too as long as the fan runs on high speed.

Both engines run 170-180 on the highway and around 200 in traffic.

If yours runs 200 or less, maybe there isn't a problem?

Also, I believe a thermostat is a necessary flow restriction. If there's no thermostat, so the conventional wisdom goes, the coolant passes through the radiator too quickly to exchange its heat.

460s are particularly sensitive to the block plate that fits between the pump and the timing cover. Since your photo shows the plate I think that's OK!

Hope any of this helps,

Tom
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Edlebrock Victor pumps have a CNC cast iron impeller. Great pumps and can be rebuilt.

Last edited by Snakebit; 08-01-2011 at 03:20 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Edelbrock High Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
Edlebrock Victor pumps have a CNC cast iron impeller. Great pumps and can be rebuilt.
Snakebit,
I am trying to get information on this from the folks at 460 Ford Forum as well. I bought the Edelbrock yesterday. It seems Ford Racing uses Edelbrock parts on crate engines. That was an interesting find as well as Edelbrock OEM's water pumps. That's the word anyway... Back to topic. There are these folks who are telling me that Edelbrock low speed performance rederes less flow than stock. I find this difficult to understand. I would think if there is less space around the moving parts there should be higher pressure at output, thus more flow at even lower speeds. Do you have, or anyone reading this have information that Edelbrocks render less flow than stock performance at Idle or at the low RPM band ?

Thanks,
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Xack,

Not sure I understand the problem

I have a 521 in my Cobra and a 557 in a Zephyr wagon. Both have stock Edelbrock water pumps (sorry no photos) which seem to move enough coolant to prevent major problems.

Both are extremely sensitive to trapped air in the system. The Zephyr has a smaller radiator and a very restrictive engine compartment (read: overstuffed) so it has a bit more load than the Cobra.

Each has a thermostat, either 170 or 180.

The Cobra will idle literally for an hour on a 98 degree day with NO problems. The Zephyr will too as long as the fan runs on high speed.

Both engines run 170-180 on the highway and around 200 in traffic.

If yours runs 200 or less, maybe there isn't a problem?

Also, I believe a thermostat is a necessary flow restriction. If there's no thermostat, so the conventional wisdom goes, the coolant passes through the radiator too quickly to exchange its heat.

460s are particularly sensitive to the block plate that fits between the pump and the timing cover. Since your photo shows the plate I think that's OK!

Hope any of this helps,Tom
Tom,
Thank you for your advice. It's always good to hear from someone with experience where your looking for help.

I do have a T-Stat which is a high flow Mr. Gasket type. I pulled it out to put in a gutted cheap t-stat which serves as a gasket holder plus restrictor of sorts.

My concern is deciding which water pump to use for idling, sitting in traffic on a hot day or cruizing to the beach on a hot day or pulling hills in the mountains and running into trouble where I've run out of cooling capacity with the system I have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: