View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaflier View Post
Thanks for the comments, I guess I phrased the question wrong. I have already read many of the FE overheating threads, and have a good handle on the issues. What I was looking for was some comments / suggestions like Undy's, is it worth it to keep the evans, or should I change to water/waterwetter/glycol? Do the benefits of evans in the heat we have down here outweigh those of water?
Well actually you didn't ask a question, you solicited for comments and suggestions. So...

An FE should not run consistently at 200-220 in 100F weather if the system is built and working properly. If this car were mine, I would peel back the onion and find the real problem. And I would can the Evans because I want lower operating temperatures in my engine, not higher. Frankly, if you believe what Evans says, it could be contributing to your higher operating temps.

One last item to your original item #2 comment. Anti-freeze isn't JUST for freeze prevention. It increase the boiling temp of your mixture (same concept as the Evans), it lubricates your water pump and prevents rust in your cast iron engine. If not coolant, then you need to run something to deliver these benefits if you go back to water.

Its a 15k engine; I'd install a KNOWN thermostat and go back to distilled water 50/50 with coolant and sees what happens. And I wouldn't trust a 25 year-old dash-mounted temperature gauge without checking it against a temp gun.

Just my 02...

Last edited by elmariachi; 08-16-2011 at 09:26 AM..