View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default FE rocker adjustment and it still ticks - now what

I have 428 stroker with Edlebrock heads, hydraulic flat tappets, and OEM style adjustable rockers. I have a on going problem of valve train tick when the engine is completely heated. Usually after a 30 minute plus drive.

The problem is I have adjusted the rockers 3X. I adjusted the rockers using the following procedure; "Set the intake valve when the exhaust valve is starting to open. Set the exhaust valve when the intake valve is starting to close. That ensures that the lifter is on the base of the lobe.

When you get there, loosen the adjuster up. I don't look for how freely the pushrod spins....there are too many variables there. I "feel" for how much axial play (lash) there is in the pushrod. When I get to zero lash, then depending on what rockers/lifters I have (not including short travel lifters), I go anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 turn past that."

The last time through I went to 1 1/4 turns. I was able to confirm none of the rockers had backed off.

The engine is warm when I make the adjustment.

The tick is on several cylinders on both banks.

Is it possible the heads are expanding more than the push rods and using up all of the lash? Should I add another 1/4 turn?

Thanks guys.
John