Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Rich, have a look at the thread cited in the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
Have a look at this old thread, read forward from there for several posts ...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showpost.php?p=782746&postcount=36

I use ANPAC for insurance. My rep is Dan Hardiman in Tyler .. well known in the Cobra community: 903-597-5700

Enjoy!
Sam
And do a search of this forum on "Texas Registration" and see what else pops up. There is a lot of history on this.

You are in the same scenario as I was. You will be building an "Assembled Vehicle." This is key to paying no sales tax. Your sales tax obligations are assumed to have been fulfilled when you purchased the components that you built your car from. They do not check whether ERA charged you the tax. And ERA does not charge the Texas tax. Peter will even create two invoices if you ask. One for the kit, which some people show when it is asked for (minimum price for the pieces), and another for the "options," which you might not care to show.

They will want receipts for the tranny, engine, body/frame (ERA) and rubbings of the engine number or date code, and "VIN." For ERA this is the brass plate on the front shock tower. You will fill out an affadavit certifying that you built the car. All the directions on this are in the thread referred to.

This advice does not apply to a used car, or to a turn key car like SPF, BDR, or similar. On those you will likely have to pay the 6.25%.

Sam