LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pilgrim, TVR 4.6 on carbs
Not Ranked     
Default Registration for dumies

Guys

Now go easy on me, I know this is a touchy subject with there being a dedicated forum, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I will need to do and I am still hurting from having to let me car go.
I am in the process of relocating from England, I cant get my car into the country due to your fantastically strict border control volunteers.
Result, I have just had to sell the car for 2 thirds of F all. I am going to get on the wating list for an ERA 289 FIA as soon as my address is sorted out.

I have no problem buying the bits and building a complete car.

My problem lies with the registration process and any details I need to watch out for. A big thing that is worrying me is State Sales Tax that is collected at time of registration.

Say I bought the kit for $30000 the engine cost me $10000.....and that was a complete car to make it easy...... when I produce my reciepts at time of registration am I going to be paying 6.25% of $40000?

Does anyone have a break down of the process for registering the car after it is built specific for TX? you must have all done it.

Thanks Rich
Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Rich, have a look at the thread cited in the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
Have a look at this old thread, read forward from there for several posts ...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showpost.php?p=782746&postcount=36

I use ANPAC for insurance. My rep is Dan Hardiman in Tyler .. well known in the Cobra community: 903-597-5700

Enjoy!
Sam
And do a search of this forum on "Texas Registration" and see what else pops up. There is a lot of history on this.

You are in the same scenario as I was. You will be building an "Assembled Vehicle." This is key to paying no sales tax. Your sales tax obligations are assumed to have been fulfilled when you purchased the components that you built your car from. They do not check whether ERA charged you the tax. And ERA does not charge the Texas tax. Peter will even create two invoices if you ask. One for the kit, which some people show when it is asked for (minimum price for the pieces), and another for the "options," which you might not care to show.

They will want receipts for the tranny, engine, body/frame (ERA) and rubbings of the engine number or date code, and "VIN." For ERA this is the brass plate on the front shock tower. You will fill out an affadavit certifying that you built the car. All the directions on this are in the thread referred to.

This advice does not apply to a used car, or to a turn key car like SPF, BDR, or similar. On those you will likely have to pay the 6.25%.

Sam
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #776, 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I recently went through the registration process in Dallas, TX with my ERA. Following the advice on this board, I was able to get it all done in a day with no issues. I did not pay any sales tax. Get all your paperwork together and do everything in the correct order. You should have no problems.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pilgrim, TVR 4.6 on carbs
Not Ranked     
Default Spot on

Gents, this is just the answers I was looking for. Thanks for helping. I may drop you a line later when I get built to pick brains but I have alot of time to research (and hide money from the missus) before then.

Rich
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Ya gotta love Texas! No checking on whether taxes are paid on parts, engine, etc. In California,even if you paid taxes on every part, they still charged tax on the total value of the car! So, you had to pay taxes on already taxed parts! Lovely state. This is one reason I left.

SkipB