View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Commissioning a Turn Key ERA 427 Cobra

Well, the saga began with an interest in a used FFR Mk III, then onto a SPF powered by a 392 Windsor. Then I drove two different ERA 427 Cobras.

The ERA body is beautiful, much more accurate to my eye, and I like the way these cars seem very solid and can be extremely period correct. Being built in the USA is important to me, too.

I thought I had snagged a very nice used one. But things were all over the place, and I messed up, and it didn't work out.

So now I'm thinking about loosening the purse strings, adding a little to the budget, and having a new one built for me.

Here's a summary of the car I'm thinking about:

—Wimbledon white, no stripes, standard urethane hardened paint
—No roll bar
—Under car exhaust
—427 Center Oiler (I'm hoping that'll save decent money versus the side oiler) or, if not that, a 428 Cobra Jet. A mild build with iron MR heads, single 4bbl, compression in the nines so I could run it on CA's 91 octane swill. A turkey pan would be cool, with that Stellings air cleaner. Maybe even the pentroof rocker covers. And a somewhat lumpy, but streetable, idle.
—Wide ratio Toploader and 3.31
—Few upgrades, primarily the 15" pin drive wheels

I'd spec the racing dash with the reverse speedo, but add a glove box. As I said, I'd like the under car exhaust, but prefer the quick jacks instead of the over riders and front hoop/rear bumper.

It's turning out, in my head, to be a combo pack of track and street equipage, based purely on my aesthetic preferences.

I hope that's not verboten.

I'm wondering if anyone has any general suggestions about the process. I'm a sponge when it comes to gathering information and am definitely on the steep part of the learning curve at the moment.

Questions at the moment concern ground clearance with the under car exhaust, as well as heat issues, but sounds like it's an extremely well thought out automobile and I'm not overly concerned.

Natalie