Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Commissioning a Turn Key ERA 427 Cobra

Well, the saga began with an interest in a used FFR Mk III, then onto a SPF powered by a 392 Windsor. Then I drove two different ERA 427 Cobras.

The ERA body is beautiful, much more accurate to my eye, and I like the way these cars seem very solid and can be extremely period correct. Being built in the USA is important to me, too.

I thought I had snagged a very nice used one. But things were all over the place, and I messed up, and it didn't work out.

So now I'm thinking about loosening the purse strings, adding a little to the budget, and having a new one built for me.

Here's a summary of the car I'm thinking about:

—Wimbledon white, no stripes, standard urethane hardened paint
—No roll bar
—Under car exhaust
—427 Center Oiler (I'm hoping that'll save decent money versus the side oiler) or, if not that, a 428 Cobra Jet. A mild build with iron MR heads, single 4bbl, compression in the nines so I could run it on CA's 91 octane swill. A turkey pan would be cool, with that Stellings air cleaner. Maybe even the pentroof rocker covers. And a somewhat lumpy, but streetable, idle.
—Wide ratio Toploader and 3.31
—Few upgrades, primarily the 15" pin drive wheels

I'd spec the racing dash with the reverse speedo, but add a glove box. As I said, I'd like the under car exhaust, but prefer the quick jacks instead of the over riders and front hoop/rear bumper.

It's turning out, in my head, to be a combo pack of track and street equipage, based purely on my aesthetic preferences.

I hope that's not verboten.

I'm wondering if anyone has any general suggestions about the process. I'm a sponge when it comes to gathering information and am definitely on the steep part of the learning curve at the moment.

Questions at the moment concern ground clearance with the under car exhaust, as well as heat issues, but sounds like it's an extremely well thought out automobile and I'm not overly concerned.

Natalie
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Now you're thinking the right way; go for it!
PM sent
Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 10-14-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Spellin errer
Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I agree ,That is exactly what this is about.. Personalize it for you.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I'd think about some aluminum heads, it would take some weight off the front end and make a little better handling car.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Flygirl,

Congratulations on your decision to go with an ERA. Are you building this car to keep it for a long time, maybe 10 years or more?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Natalie,

Sounds like a great build and you have a good idea of what you are after already. I have two suggestions for the moment:

- Contact Peter at ERA and let him know what you have in mind. If you are still interested, put down a deposit to get yourself on the list.

- Buy the assembly manual and go over the options list on the ERA website, both are chock full of good information.

You will need to be patient ... ERA is wonderful to work with and will build you a beautiful car, but it will most likely take some time.

- Tim
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

One of the good things about having ERA build the car is that you give your deposit & you have some time to finalize the details. For example, by the time my car was in production I had acquired the funds to purchase the upgrades I really wanted. I called Peter & made the changes. He was happy to do so.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems like you have made the decision to go ERA ....as the others have said call Peter send in your deposit and depending on if you have a true roller built be prepared to wait. It's a journey not a sprint
Old 10-15-2011, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

In response to one of your questions, "heat issues", I put in insulation between the floor and the carpet to keep out some of the heat. I would also suggest (I did this as well) ceramic coating the headers as well as (in what you are talking about) the under car exhaust.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

I admit that I can sometimes be like the girl in Wonka's chocolate factory. The one who said, "but I want it now!" before falling into the vat of bubbling chocolate, never to be seen again.

I trust they didn't sell that batch!

Anyhow, that's what I'm learning too, about the importance of the journey. Reading the manual a million times and Photoshopping pictures of the car in different configurations, and dreaming about it. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

And how cool it'd be to have the car built new, just for me!

The reality of it is, I'd be okay with waiting. The long winter is coming and my life is very busy right now, too.

Yes, I would be planning to keep it long term.

If funds become available, I might have a 427 s/o built sometime in the future and re-power. But other than that the idea would be that it'd be parking in my garage (wherever that may be) for many years to come.

This is the car I wish my dad brought could have home in '65, instead of the 427 Galaxie 500 company car (an excellent ride in its own right).

I do have some questions about the 427 center oiler. I do know it saw lots of service in boats, but that was a long time ago. Can't quite figure out how expensive an engine this might be, compared to a similarly built 428.

I will definitely contact ERA on Monday, and purchase the assembly manual.

Years ago I commissioned a 28' sport fishing boat and waited over a year for it to be completed. When it arrived, it was a work of art. The helm area was built for me and fit perfectly, and she was overpowered and went like stink. Just like I hoped. It was very special, and I think this project has the potential to be similar.

Natalie

Last edited by Flygirl; 10-15-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Hello Natalie,

a friend of mine built a Midstates/Shell Valley cobra with under the car exhaust. If you want me to contact him to get a hold of you, let me know.

I had a 428 FE in mine before the side oiler and really liked it. They are cheaper to build also. Getting say, 400 HP/TQ with not much in racing parts and a little machining is not a problem. You should be able to build one for $3,000-$4,000. I would spend more money and get the Cobra Jet heads, as the stock 428 heads need a lot of work.

Call someone like Keith Kraft or Barry that are great "FE" engine builders, they have some from stock to wild, at a good price, and will preform very well. Both also have entire motors for sale, and almost crate engines for cobras. The side oilers are expensive to build, but cool to have in a cobra.

What do you want out of a engine, mild to wild ?
How much can you spend ?

If you start out with a 390-428 and build a side oiler later, the motor mounts are the same for both engines.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 774 Shelby Alum 427
Not Ranked     

Peter Portante is 50% psychoanalyst and 50% life coach. Spend quality time with
him and reduce your anxiety, save money, eliminate mistakes, and get a great car.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 774 Shelby Alum 427
Not Ranked     

Peter Portante is 50% psychoanalyst and 50% life coach. Spend quality time with him and reduce your anxiety, save money, eliminate mistakes and get
a great car.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What is your budget ?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I had a 428 FE in mine before the side oiler and really liked it. They are cheaper to build also. Getting say, 400 HP/TQ with not much in racing parts and a little machining is not a problem. You should be able to build one for $3,000-$4,000.
I would beware of any 428FE built for $3k to $4k. Be prepared for numbers that are closer to their squares instead.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3-4k for a basic performance 428FE is plenty. I don't know what you're thinking ? If you spend more than that Patrick, where are you putting the money in ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-15-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
3-4k for a basic performance 428FE is plenty. I don't know what you're thinking ?
I think blykins undercuts all the major FE builders on this forum. Brent, can you build her a 450HP, reliable, street based turnkey 428FE for under, say, ten grand?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Natalie,

Stick with Peter and ask him for his candid advice, and you'll do just fine if you have ERA build the car for you. Peter can save you a few $ here and there (engine too) by not getting too caught up in the hype of putting a 427 "side oiler" in a street-use car with a "mild" cam, especially one with no rollbar Those came with 428s (not 427s) originally anyhow if it makes a difference to you. There are some nice "street" version cars with Ford FE 390s and 428s that do just great on the street. At the end of the day, it all looks the same with the same valvecovers and fixtures on top of the motor. IMO: Don't waste the money. A real nice reliable and worthy iron 427 belongs in an original car or on a nice engine stand if you ask me. I'd recommend using the savings on nice leather seats through ERA, maybe some nice pindrive wheels/hubs, getting the body / street flares done right, including all the right fixtures for the engine and compartment, etc. If you plan to drive on trips or longer routes, you might want to consider a 5spd with overdrive vs. a traditional Top Loader 4speed depending on how "purist" you want the car to be and look. Nobody looks under the car anyhow, so maybe a 5speed. Nice paint and body can be costly. However, it can make a car look like a million bucks if its done right. Like I said, Peter can give you the straight scoop if you tell him you just want a nice car and don't want to go over the top, unless that is your objective. I built my car by the way, and watched others order turnkeys. ERA does a great job. Its worth the wait, and be prepared to wait for a turnkey, it takes a while. Have fun. Good Luck.

PS: There is an ERA Registry poster available now if you want to drool at all the different model ERA cars while you are waiting for yours to be built.

Last edited by decooney; 10-15-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would beware of any 428FE built for $3k to $4k. Be prepared for numbers that are closer to their squares instead.
So, compared to that, what might a 427 center oiler cost me? Any guesses? Just ballpark figures at this point.

I've heard $15,000-$20,000 for a 427 s/o in mild street trim with nothing fancy; the hope (or should I say fantasy?) is that the center oiler would be significantly less.

I think I just like the look of the pentroof valve covers with the 427 cobra logo that's the same as on the fenders of the car.

There, I admitted it.

I know it's shallow, but there you go. That's why I was considering a center oiler. It's not going to be seeing 10/10ths ever.

The whole replica question is interesting to me. Except for the body, there's not that much similar to the original car. And yet, somehow it seems right with the period correct pieces, including the engine. And yes, I know that some street 427s did come with the 428.

I suspect that budget constraints will help narrow things down once I learn more. I'm definitely open to guidance, of course from Peter but y'all too.

Last edited by Flygirl; 10-15-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

450 hp, where did I say that ? Why not just say, 700 ?

Send me a good condition & complete 428, and I'll build it for around that price. It's not hard to do.

Anyway, I looked at this a while back. And this is with the non-stock items, almost ready to run,

This ad expired 28 days ago.

$4,995.00

completely rebuilt ford 428 FE from a '66 police car std bore block from '70 all new parts inside dual 4 bbl intake and windage tray

Seller Phone Number: 3173974979
Seller Phone Number2: 3173974979
This item is NEW
Trades NOT ACCEPTED
Item Location: INDIANAPOLIS