View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
I do have a Fox body oil pan on the Cobra right now, and there is a plugged port on the driver's side of the pan, directly to the side of the rear oil pan drain plug, that was probably for a factory "low oil" sensor, I'll try to use that location.

Mike Forte makes an adapter especially for this application.

I am guilty of thinking that I need heavy viscosity oil in my pan...think I will switch to 15W-30 or 15W-40. Right now there is a very slight leak at the rear corner of the passenger's side valve cover, so I check the oil level every time I get in my car. It must be a very slight leak, I guess, as the oil level never seems to drop on the dipstick. My oil pressure VERY seldom drops to 40PSI, and usually at any RPM level above idle is at 60PSI (VDO gauges, no idea how accurate they are).

Cheers, and thanks, again! An oil temp gauge is definitely in my Cobra's future.

Dugly
Good operating oil pressure should around 45psi or so. It will drop a bit at idle, but not too much. Too much oil pressure is not necessarily a good thing. The oil should be "thick" enough to maintain proper oil pressure. Whatever viscosity that might be. In the winter, you should run a fairly low winter weight. Since we rarely drive our cars in sub-zero temps, a 15W is probably fine.

I use 5W-30 true syntheitc year 'round. Maintaining proper oil pressure isn't a problem. When hot and on the track, it runs about 45-50psi. I tear the engine down every two years. The bearings look excellent after two years of abuse. I replace the bearings (just because) but I'v never had to cut the crank. Obviusly, crank and bearing wear is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
Talking about pressure - when I'm around a temperature of ~90-95 C (standard Superformace sensor at remote filter) I have ~ 40-50 psi. At ~105 C it drops to ~20-25 psi. I'm using Joe Gibbs HR-2 (30 weight). Are these lower pressures OK or should I up the weight?

thx
20-25psi at hot idle is fine; while running down the highway it's probably a little bit low. I would investigate that a bit more closely.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto