View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

G-Pete, I thought I posted some "real-world" results on this thread early-on, but maybe not. Here you go:

I have a mild 2x4 sideoiler with 2 600 CFM Holleys. The guys in Houston all decide to do a "dyno day". I put mine on it, did two back-to-back pulls and got 394 RWHP with stock paper filters on the S&H housings, and 402 RWHP with just the base of the S&H housings on the carbs (I've been told that without the base of the housing the airflow into the carb gets disrupted).

That makes 7 RWHP difference between paper elements and no elements, up through 5500 RPM. The reason I run paper elements is because the K&N elements let way more fine particles through, and for 7 HP, it isn't worth it.

Now for the guys with one big carb, the single S&H filter seems way too small, but for me, it works. And FWIW, Double Venom's tuft work confirms what I had always suspected, the hood scoop is good looking, but fairly worthless, and any benefit you'd get from cool air by sealing your carb to the hood would be lost by starving the engine for air (at higher RPM). JMHO.