View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
x2. Process will be to get the car in your possession, get it insured by a specialty insurer as a 1965/1966 and then take that insurance card ONLY to an inspection station of your choosing and ask for a $14.50 SAFETY inspection. If you have your swagger going and choose the right place (I like Firestone's and Jiffy Lubes, where they have been sued to the edge of the solar system for wrecking customer cars) you will tell them YOU will drive THEM for the brake check, for they will fear the alternative. They will give you the safety receipt and with it, your Cali title and your signed bill of sale you'll head off the the local Travis County Tax Assessor Office where you will apply for a title and receive your license plates. You will pay sales tax on your transaction at 6.25% and you'll spend another $100 or so getting plates. Then you will go out on 1431 and put it through its paces.

Giddy up.

CSX4350...

What Sssammy and Elmariachi describe is the law of the land and what most of us have experienced in recent memory. The key is insuring it as a 65 Daytona first of all.

While your situation of buying an already titled car is different from my Hurricane, I suggest you PM Elmariachi and arrange a conversation via telephone. If my recollection is not too foggy, I believe his car was titled out of state as something else and he successfully navigated the same process you are hoping for.