17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     
Default SB-100 in Texas

I’m looking at purchasing a Cobra that is titled under the California SB-100 program and I’d be bringing it into Travis County where smog is required. This car is titled as a 2006 and I’m concerned about needing smog and Texas inspection (green sheet). I don’t want to unwind the SB-100 as that makes it an attractive car to send back to California if it’s sold, but to try to pacify all the requirements set out for a 2006 vehicle will be difficult for me. Has anyone else been in this position?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

if a California car with a sb-100 is sold, that sb-100 number is lost forever....if it goes back to California it will need a new sb-100 number.....
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3668 5.0, Windsor Jr., E303, Cobra intake.
Not Ranked     

Might start by looking here.
Texas Bill 890 Passes and Signed by Perry
There are some other posts on this forum with recommendations as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3668 5.0, Windsor Jr., E303, Cobra intake.
Not Ranked     

Car Registration Problem
Comment by El Mariachi seems seems to be the route to get your car titled in Tx
Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
if a California car with a sb-100 is sold, that sb-100 number is lost forever....if it goes back to California it will need a new sb-100 number.....
Really? I always thought that the SB-100 Smog Exempt Sequence number was associated with the VIN in the CA DMV database. So, if the VIN doesn't change, then how does it Sequence number get disassociated from the VIN? Or am I missing something here?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the sb-100 number only smog exempts the car for as long as the original owner owns the car....it has nothing to do with the vin#.....you can license a car without the sb-100 but it must pass all the smog requirements....
Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
the sb-100 number only smog exempts the car for as long as the original owner owns the car....it has nothing to do with the vin#.....you can license a car without the sb-100 but it must pass all the smog requirements....
Interesting. What is your source for this information?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Randy: rustyBob is correct. If the car is registered in another jurisdiction it becomes titled in that State, the California Title and registration are surrendered thus the California Registration is no longer valid and the SB100 sequence number is forfited. if and when it is re-entered into the California Registration data base, it is treated like any other incoming car, and must meet all the THEN current requirements for either standard registration (like our daily drivers) or the requirments for becoming SB100 complient. A long & winding road.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 11-30-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

No issues in Texas as the car now will be titled as the year it replicas ie; 1965 or 1966 Cobra. No emissions test just saftey inspection.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

SB100 just isn't a big deal in California these days. Demand is way down and people were still able to get sequence numbers late in to the year.

Unless demand picks up in a big way, having an SB100 adds virtually no value to a car's resale value.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
SB100 just isn't a big deal in California these days. Demand is way down and people were still able to get sequence numbers late in to the year.

Unless demand picks up in a big way, having an SB100 adds virtually no value to a car's resale value.
I disagree, you are correct about the demand for the numbers but a car that has the SB100 number is SMOG EXEMPT and legally titled.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post
I disagree, you are correct about the demand for the numbers but a car that has the SB100 number is SMOG EXEMPT and legally titled.
True. But if you walk into the DMV with any legally titled Cobra from another State, you can snag an SB100 sequence number and be smog exempt for life.

My point is that if you're looking for a car, SB100 can easily be obtained whether a car has been pre-registered or is a new build.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
True. But if you walk into the DMV with any legally titled Cobra from another State, you can snag an SB100 sequence number and be smog exempt for life.

My point is that if you're looking for a car, SB100 can easily be obtained whether a car has been pre-registered or is a new build.
OK, but as long as it was Pre-registered properly from another state and not one of the many improperly registered California cars.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

I thought SB100 was for new builds only. What does SB1578 cover? I assumed it was for existing cars such as those from out of state. Or am I not understanding this wonderful State of California stuff?

SkipB
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
No issues in Texas as the car now will be titled as the year it replicas ie; 1965 or 1966 Cobra. No emissions test just saftey inspection.
Tim,,
If you can wade through and ignore the thread hijacking California chatter
about a non-Texas SB-100 problem,Gary gave you the correct answer.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra View Post
Tim,,
If you can wade through and ignore the thread hijacking California chatter
about a non-Texas SB-100 problem,Gary gave you the correct answer.
x2. Process will be to get the car in your possession, get it insured by a specialty insurer as a 1965/1966 and then take that insurance card ONLY to an inspection station of your choosing and ask for a $14.50 SAFETY inspection. If you have your swagger going and choose the right place (I like Firestone's and Jiffy Lubes, where they have been sued to the edge of the solar system for wrecking customer cars) you will tell them YOU will drive THEM for the brake check, for they will fear the alternative. They will give you the safety receipt and with it, your Cali title and your signed bill of sale you'll head off the the local Travis County Tax Assessor Office where you will apply for a title and receive your license plates. You will pay sales tax on your transaction at 6.25% and you'll spend another $100 or so getting plates. Then you will go out on 1431 and put it through its paces.

Giddy up.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wish it was that easy here in Cali.....

part of the original post asked about returning the car back to Cali.
with the Cali. title and the SB-100....once the car is sold they are
both null and void....
you would have to start the process again....
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The SB100/SB1578 process is about putting a price on your time. It's not rocket science, but you do have to take time to go to the DMV at least a couple times, the BAR referee, CHP and probably a Brake & Light inspection.

Assuming, you've done everything correctly, like now needing a PCV, then that's about it. For me, I'd rather spend the time doing other things, so buying a car with the exemption already makes that car worth more to me. By how much? I dunno.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby
Not Ranked     

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm looking at a Daytona Coupe in Arizona and it's registered as a 2006 Assembled Vehicle with an Arizona assigned VIN. The car is street legal but barely streetable. I'm really worried about buying it and having problems titling and registering it here. It should pass a 1964 inspection but definitely not a 2006 inspection. If I go the route El Mariachi describes, what does that do since the current title shows it as a 2006 Assembled? I'm a bit confused, and I sure don't want to buy a car I can't title.

Thanks

'08 GT500 Convertible, Vista Blue
'99 Shelby Series 1 CSX5278 Supercharged
'65 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C CSX4350 Aluminum
'65 Shelby Cobra 427 Street Car CSX4391 Aluminum
'65 Shelby Cobra 289 Street Car CSX8025 Aluminum
'64 Shelby Cobra 289 TRT CSX7506 Aluminum
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Me thinks you worry too much. I've seen many cars barely out of the gocart phase get licensed here.