View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

BTW, you asked for some comments on parts selection.

If you're looking for another rotating assembly, I would definitely go the stroker route. The 4.250" cranks will net you 482 cubes with a 427 bore. Standard run-of-the-mill setup, with a Scat 9000 series crank, Scat rods, and Diamond/Mahle pistons. If you are not of the "purist" mind, it's almost more cost effective to go with all new parts than to R&R a crankshaft, rods, etc.

You have several choices with camshafts. I tend to go straight for the hydraulic roller for a nice street build. No maintenance, no break-in, no fuss, no muss. Most of my 482-496 cube FE's peak at around 6000-6200 with the hydraulic roller stuff. You also have choice of flat tappet cams and solid roller cams. However, with your "streetable" comment, I think the hydraulic roller would fit you nicely. I can also get some nice TP roller rockers (with billet stands & hardened shafts) that would work well with the setup.

If you do go with the stroker route, I would consider using a 1x4 single plane TP intake if you have it. The bigger engines will take advantage of a single plane intake easier without any manner compromises.