View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default On the fence in Tanzania! Maybe I need a push?

Hey guys!

I work for the United Nations and live in Tanzania, believe it or not. No drivable cobras out here, just spitting ones - haha! I have been saving up some money for a nice toy to drive when I come back to the U.S. to visit my family on R&R.

I am a motorcycle guy so this will be my first car that is not a P.O.S. daily driver. I have been reading about Cobras on this site and all over the place for months now and they sound amazing. When I am back on home leave in October, I hope to find a way to see one in person, sit in it, etc.

I am an impulsive bastard and already threw down a healthy wad of cash for a 550 hp 427W small block stroker from Proformance Unlimited, which is being built next week. Unfortunately though, I am having serious second thoughts.

Mainly, I can't seem to shake the fact that I could buy a clean C6 Z06 with low miles, put headers, intake, and cam on it, and have the same HP for $20K less with a roof that does not leak and twice the gas mileage!! Or I could buy a 2012 Camaro ZL1 or a 2013 Shelby GT500 for around the same price.

Basically, no matter how awesome this Backdraft Cobra might be, I can't seem to justify dropping $65K on a car that can only be driven on sunny days! Especially considering what else I could get for my money.

I have tried to search around for months on other people's thoughts that may have been in the same situation without much luck. Anyone else out here had this dilemma? Wonder what people's thoughts are. Thanks a lot!

I live in East Africa most of the year so my purchases tend to be sight unseen, which is why I am turning to you with this question without having gone out and done the obvious sitting in one, test-driving etc. - although I intend to do this soon.

Thanks for your time!