Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default On the fence in Tanzania! Maybe I need a push?

Hey guys!

I work for the United Nations and live in Tanzania, believe it or not. No drivable cobras out here, just spitting ones - haha! I have been saving up some money for a nice toy to drive when I come back to the U.S. to visit my family on R&R.

I am a motorcycle guy so this will be my first car that is not a P.O.S. daily driver. I have been reading about Cobras on this site and all over the place for months now and they sound amazing. When I am back on home leave in October, I hope to find a way to see one in person, sit in it, etc.

I am an impulsive bastard and already threw down a healthy wad of cash for a 550 hp 427W small block stroker from Proformance Unlimited, which is being built next week. Unfortunately though, I am having serious second thoughts.

Mainly, I can't seem to shake the fact that I could buy a clean C6 Z06 with low miles, put headers, intake, and cam on it, and have the same HP for $20K less with a roof that does not leak and twice the gas mileage!! Or I could buy a 2012 Camaro ZL1 or a 2013 Shelby GT500 for around the same price.

Basically, no matter how awesome this Backdraft Cobra might be, I can't seem to justify dropping $65K on a car that can only be driven on sunny days! Especially considering what else I could get for my money.

I have tried to search around for months on other people's thoughts that may have been in the same situation without much luck. Anyone else out here had this dilemma? Wonder what people's thoughts are. Thanks a lot!

I live in East Africa most of the year so my purchases tend to be sight unseen, which is why I am turning to you with this question without having gone out and done the obvious sitting in one, test-driving etc. - although I intend to do this soon.

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

How many days a year do you expect to be at home to drive the car? A used Corvette or Mustang seems like it would be better choice. Seems like you're leaning that way.

Welcome to CC and good luck on your search for a new toy.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

There is no comparison between a Cobra and the other cars. HP numbers may look similar, but that's about as far as it goes. A Cobra is loud, dirty, and hot. There's no top, so you can't wimp out when the weather changes a little bit. It's more like a 4 wheeled motorcycle than anything else. I would never trade mine for a 'Vette.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Cobra not a car for someone with any doubts... Once you own and drive one you will have no doubts. It's a tough decision and a big chunk of change. Certainly not a wise choice as your only vehicle. But your limited drive time tells me you want to maximize the experience while you have it.

Those other options won't hold value as well, I can at least offer that.

I'll say it again, if you are unsure it's not going to be for you.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
How many days a year do you expect to be at home to drive the car? A used Corvette or Mustang seems like it would be better choice. Seems like you're leaning that way.

Welcome to CC and good luck on your search for a new toy.
I come home for about six weeks a year and if I am going to buy a toy it needs to at least be a three season toy that I can get caught out in the rain with and can comfortably use to drive and visit friends, etc. Amazing how even the briefest dialogue with others can start to clear up the mist. I live in isolation!! haha thanks for your response.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a Cobra Club in Johannesburg, which is a short flight from Dar.
Googl them, visit. There are a few BDR and SPF too. In fact, you may want to visit BDR where they are built, in Durban.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
There is no comparison between a Cobra and the other cars. HP numbers may look similar, but that's about as far as it goes. A Cobra is loud, dirty, and hot. There's no top, so you can't wimp out when the weather changes a little bit. It's more like a 4 wheeled motorcycle than anything else. I would never trade mine for a 'Vette.
What you describe is exactly the feeling I like, which is why I prefer motorcycles to cars. Problem is I don't live in Colorado Springs! It would be garaged in Northern Virginia, where it can be quite drizzly, hot and humid. Thanks for your response. It is just starting to seem like the coolest car ever, but only if you have it as a second car and actually live in a place with it for long enough to drive it enough when the weather is decent to justify buying it...thanks again!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Cobra not a car for someone with any doubts... Once you own and drive one you will have no doubts. It's a tough decision and a big chunk of change. Certainly not a wise choice as your only vehicle. But your limited drive time tells me you want to maximize the experience while you have it.

Those other options won't hold value as well, I can at least offer that.

I'll say it again, if you are unsure it's not going to be for you.
Thanks, Jay- you have been great and really, really helpful. I appreciate your candor. It really is a tough decision but when I make the right one it will be thanks to you, in great part, whichever way I go so thanks again for that.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
There is a Cobra Club in Johannesburg, which is a short flight from Dar.
Googl them, visit. There are a few BDR and SPF too. In fact, you may want to visit BDR where they are built, in Durban.
Thanks, man that is really helpful...!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry, double post

Last edited by Dominik; 08-10-2012 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: sorry, double post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Why don't you just buy a cheaper one a few years old "
You" ll find a solid car for 20k . Don't understand why you
Feel you have to go all in day 1. It's a ton of cash your talking about

Thats exactly what I did and I'm glad"
And there are cobra deals to be had everywhere '

Good luck
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Atreyou,

Anyone that mentions a Corvette or Camero while discussing a Cobra purchase should definitely not buy the Cobra. Especially for you. If you only have a limited amount of time with the car, you want it to be working and not in the shop.

You just bought a stroker. How long do you think that motor will run before it needs to go back to the shop? Who's going to do the work for you while your away? It's not like you can have it towed to the local dealership and have them work on it.

Cobra's are a pain in the butt. If you don't absolutely know you have to have a Cobra, and nothing else will do, then you're making the wrong choice.

New to the Cobra world? Have you always dreamed of having a Cobra? Read carefully.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

I have a buddy from college who has a ZO6 Corvette. He gets a kick visiting me to "air out" the red Backdraft of mine. I have never ridden in his car but he thinks mine is pretty quick.

You paid for an open roadster and you will not regret it!! I am 59 going on 25.

Russell
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I have a cobra and C6 Z06. The Corvette is quicker and much more practical. The Cobra is an ego booster. As someone pointed out it's more like driving a motorcycle since you at least need to think about the weather. When I first purchased my Cobra I lived in LA and used it as my everyday car for 4 years. So you can use a cobra as an everyday car but it's not always easy or comfortable to do it. In LA the weather is better than most places for a cobra.

So a lot depends on where your family lives and what the weather is during your time there. For me heat is more of a problem than cold. You can drive the car in the rain but it's not as much fun. If you expect snow forget either car. I have a top for my car but have not used it all that much. For me it also depends on your age. When I was in my 20's I wouldn't think twice about taking the cobra in almost any kind of weather. I have driven the car in 20 and 100 degree weather. However, the last fairly long drive in the Cobra of 350 miles in 95+ degree caused my wife a sever problem with the heat.

There are folks that drive their cobra everywhere but you have to be willing to put up with heat, cold, rain, wind and noise. You can carry some stuff in the trunk but nothing like you can in the Vette.

The cobra is fun to drive in good weather and you get a lot more attention with it. When I purchased my car the mother of the guy I was buying it from told me it was a cobra evening when I picked up the car. It was about 70 degrees. I found out what she meant after I had it for awhile.

Good luck on your decision
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Go for it!

Russell
Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I pondered the same question before I bought my Kirkham. I have friends with Z06 Vettes and they are awesome. I think if you have a itch for a Cobra, then you need to scratch. Once you possess the beast, it will be hard to not want the feeling you get, but they are loud, hot, angery cars. After I've been in it for 40 mins I've had enough, but want more as soon as I park. As soon a I get in my driver seat of my Toyota, I start reaching for the turn signal on the right side of the steering column. If your been dreaming about a Cobra since you were 16, do it, if your on the fence, maybe not the best life choice.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     

Atreyu-
I own a C4 corvette (4th vette I've had) and recently bought a used SPF. Friend has the Z06 and another has a late model Viper. I`ve rented and driven the Z06. Bottom, line all of these cars handle better than my (stock) SPF, but I would not be bashful matching the cobra in a straight line contest against the Z06 or the viper. IMHO, any of the above mentioned vehicles provide more creature comfort, accessories and goodies for the dollar than the cobra.

If that was all I was looking for, I would not have bought the cobra.

Left out of the equation is the `wow`factor. As someone posted above, it`s loud, dirty and hot. But, it`s a car that`s unique, with body styling that`s never going to look dated and no matter where you go, you get thumbs up. When I go to the super market gas station, you name it, people walk up to me all the time and want to talk about it. I dont think owners of the other vehicles get the same attention (maybe the Viper guys). Wish I had the thing in college. I can also open the hood, actually see the engine, and (hells bells) actually have the tools to work on it. Only engine, carb, trans, end of story.

So, having done the big build up, I`m an expat for many years, and I can relate to the cycling home and then going back on assignment. All my cool toys were stateside and added to the anticipation of getting home for a short period of time.

Downside is that during the assignment period all my cool stuff sat idle and unattended to. Fortunately my employer paid for storage of the vette. In this case it was a place in Riverrside Ca, where the engine was started once a month to keep the juices flowing. I was able to have the car delivered and was able to use it during my visits home.

So that`s one item to consider when evaluating whether or not to get a cobra, (or either of the other choices you mentioned for that matter).What are you going to do with it when you`re not home.

It shouldnt sit for 10 1/2 months without being driven. I`d rather not have one of my friends or even relatives tooling around in a 2300/ car with 560 Hp just to keep it drivaable. You also mentioned living in N VA. I lived there for a while, and after about a year, my daily driver was a rattle trap.

If it were me, and as an expat making up my mind on what to do, here's some items I'd consider:
- Take a trip to Joberg and ride in/drive the beast. Look the cars over, decide if that's a vehicle that meets your expectations and if so, what brand .
- Research your storage options in the DC area/ or N VAfor the period that you are away, and how the car will be maintained while you're gone. What are your options in that area for routine Cobra repairs, sorting the vehicle out (a new vehicle will likely require some minor tweaking, used vehicles likely will be more sorted out). Do you want to spend part of your 6 weeks tinkering with the car? As someone mentioned, theres no friendly Cobra dealership down the road, so unless you want to do your own wrenching, you'll need to find a speed shop nearby.
- Is it feasible to import the vehicle to a location in Africa where you can get access to the car for occasional drives, what are the roads like, and will it be safe in that location from theft or vandalism? Insurance?
- If just a 'go fast' machine is what you want, and the import option is not feasible, it might make better overall financial sense and be less hassle to consider the Fords or Chevvys until your assignment is over. Let the $$ pile up.
- Most rental car agencies wil enter into short term leasing agreements. Check into one of these to get cost info for a short term lease of a Corvette or Ford GT. Will be less costly that buying a new vehicle, you wont take the depreciation hit and will avoid the nuisance of having to worry about an expensive toy from 10,000 miles away.

Good luck and best wishes.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreyou View Post
I come home for about six weeks a year and if I am going to buy a toy it needs to at least be a three season toy that I can get caught out in the rain with and can comfortably use to drive and visit friends, etc. Amazing how even the briefest dialogue with others can start to clear up the mist. I live in isolation!! haha thanks for your response.
Have I got a car for you

CLICK HERE

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys have been absolutely phenomenal. Thank you so much for your kind advice! I am fascinated by how many of you have been in a similar "option predicament" and am glad to soak up your advice and rely on your experience. Thanks to you it is now abundantly clear to me that a Cobra is not the way to go for me in my life as it stands right now. When I come home in six weeks I am still going to try to see one in person but only out of curiosity at this point. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Now I have to figure out what to do with this engine!! I should have made this post before throwing down for that thing. Live and learn!!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really great advice, ReMorton. You know what this lifestyle is like!!!