View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I have a cobra and C6 Z06. The Corvette is quicker and much more practical. The Cobra is an ego booster. As someone pointed out it's more like driving a motorcycle since you at least need to think about the weather. When I first purchased my Cobra I lived in LA and used it as my everyday car for 4 years. So you can use a cobra as an everyday car but it's not always easy or comfortable to do it. In LA the weather is better than most places for a cobra.

So a lot depends on where your family lives and what the weather is during your time there. For me heat is more of a problem than cold. You can drive the car in the rain but it's not as much fun. If you expect snow forget either car. I have a top for my car but have not used it all that much. For me it also depends on your age. When I was in my 20's I wouldn't think twice about taking the cobra in almost any kind of weather. I have driven the car in 20 and 100 degree weather. However, the last fairly long drive in the Cobra of 350 miles in 95+ degree caused my wife a sever problem with the heat.

There are folks that drive their cobra everywhere but you have to be willing to put up with heat, cold, rain, wind and noise. You can carry some stuff in the trunk but nothing like you can in the Vette.

The cobra is fun to drive in good weather and you get a lot more attention with it. When I purchased my car the mother of the guy I was buying it from told me it was a cobra evening when I picked up the car. It was about 70 degrees. I found out what she meant after I had it for awhile.

Good luck on your decision