Thread: 460 Long Block
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvinbh View Post
I am considering upgrading my CCX 3083 from the current 351 Cleveland to a 460 long block. Does anyone have any experience with installing a 460 long block? Any suggestions if not a 460 long block?
As for the 385 series Ford engines, you can't do better than Jon Kaase. He's the king of the 429/460's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvinbh View Post
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The reason I ask about going to a 460 was due to the availability of these engines, not locked into any big block choice.
Thanks
Good for you!! That opens up a can of worms I frequently toss about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
How much power are you wanting? I routinely get 550-600 hp out of my 408 Cleveland's.
As blykins well knows, I'm a huge fan of the 335 engine series for many of the same reasons I like the 385 series. However, the Cleveland blocks did have some issues with oiling if run hard...so, here's an idea:

How about a 351W block, perhaps aluminum, built up to 427CID, with Cleveland heads...essentially a 427 Clevor? You'd get that magic displacement number with the benefits of the superior Windsor oiling system. If built with an alloy block, heads, intake, water pump, etc you'd be in the same weight range as an 8.2" iron engine, and you'd have absolutely NO trouble getting it into the engine bay or sourcing items such as headers (you might even be able to use your current 351C headers, and you'd even use the same motor mounts, I'd think). You'd also have to deal with none of these issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i went from a 351C to a big block........you will be replacing a lot of stuff that was probably fine for the 351, but the BB will need an upgrade.examples: springs, fuel system, radiator,.....etc
Clevors have routinely been pretty much at the top of the food chain when it comes to the PHR Engine Masters series, they can make insane power numbers.

I'd bet blykins can build you a real killer Clevor, if I were able to do it he'd be my choice!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 12-09-2012 at 07:03 AM..