Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blykins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 427
Not Ranked     
Default 460 Long Block

I am considering upgrading my CCX 3083 from the current 351 Cleveland to a 460 long block. Does anyone have any experience with installing a 460 long block? Any suggestions if not a 460 long block?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I would check with Keith Craft. He probably has as much experience with BB Fords as anyone on line. If not KC, then maybe Gessford.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvinbh View Post
I am considering upgrading my CCX 3083 from the current 351 Cleveland to a 460 long block. Does anyone have any experience with installing a 460 long block? Any suggestions if not a 460 long block?
How much power are you wanting? I routinely get 550-600 hp out of my 408 Cleveland's. I also build 460 based engines...Boss 9 heads, Kaase heads, street, drag race, you name it.

Now if you're wanting advice on how to shoehorn one into your car, I probably can't be much help.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i went from a 351C to a big block........you will be replacing a lot of stuff that was probably fine for the 351, but the BB will need an upgrade.examples: springs, fuel system, radiator, headers.....etc
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
How much power are you wanting? I routinely get 550-600 hp out of my 408 Cleveland's. I also build 460 based engines...Boss 9 heads, Kaase heads, street, drag race, you name it.

Now if you're wanting advice on how to shoehorn one into your car, I probably can't be much help.
I recently had the 351 dyno'd it was 255 HP at the rear wheels, with 275 Max Torque, at 5500 rpms. Not sure what HP and Torque would be the best, I will be driving the car on the street as often as the weather permits here in Ohio. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The reason I ask about going to a 460 was due to the availability of these engines, not locked into any big block choice.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As for the 385 series Ford engines, you can't do better than Jon Kaase. He's the king of the 429/460's!

Quote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The reason I ask about going to a 460 was due to the availability of these engines, not locked into any big block choice.
Thanks
Good for you!! That opens up a can of worms I frequently toss about

Quote:
How much power are you wanting? I routinely get 550-600 hp out of my 408 Cleveland's.
As blykins well knows, I'm a huge fan of the 335 engine series for many of the same reasons I like the 385 series. However, the Cleveland blocks did have some issues with oiling if run hard...so, here's an idea:

How about a 351W block, perhaps aluminum, built up to 427CID, with Cleveland heads...essentially a 427 Clevor? You'd get that magic displacement number with the benefits of the superior Windsor oiling system. If built with an alloy block, heads, intake, water pump, etc you'd be in the same weight range as an 8.2" iron engine, and you'd have absolutely NO trouble getting it into the engine bay or sourcing items such as headers (you might even be able to use your current 351C headers, and you'd even use the same motor mounts, I'd think). You'd also have to deal with none of these issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i went from a 351C to a big block........you will be replacing a lot of stuff that was probably fine for the 351, but the BB will need an upgrade.examples: springs, fuel system, radiator,.....etc
Clevors have routinely been pretty much at the top of the food chain when it comes to the PHR Engine Masters series, they can make insane power numbers.

I'd bet blykins can build you a real killer Clevor, if I were able to do it he'd be my choice!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 12-09-2012 at 07:03 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would consider all the parts that you wouldn't mind changing.

If you went with a big block, you'd have to change engine mounts, bellhousing, flywheel, headers, etc.

If you went with a Windsor/Clevor, you'd have to change or modify the headers because of the taller block height.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Cleveland, nor with the oiling if you keep it below 7500. A 393 or 408 stroker kit in that block with a nice set of heads and a cam matched for what you're going to be doing the most would make an excellent platform...and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

Having 255 at the tires is roughly 325-350 at the flywheel which is no slouch. It would be very easy to have an extremely streetable 500hp at the flywheel, that would run on low octane gas, putz around town/cruise/parades, but blow your shorts off when you got in the gas.

I do a lot of Cleveland stuff....even started my own forum a few months back.

www.the351cforum.com • Index page
YerDugliness likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

What is the current state of the art on an alloy C block, brent?

I know there were a few cast....just thinking weight on the front end.

Also, just curious....what is it that keeps us from getting 427 CID from a Cleveland?

You'll get another member on your forum, soon!

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are a couple of aluminum Cleveland blocks being cast right now. One is from Arrow in Australia....the other is Mark McKeown's block.

Honestly, if someone wanted an aftermarket block, I'd advise them to spend $1600 for a Dart SHP block instead of spending $2500-3000 for an aftermarket Cleveland block. I suppose if someone has to have a period correct looking engine, then there's only one option though...

What keeps you from getting 427 cubes is the deck height. You'd have to use a 4.100" or 4.170" stroke and that just makes the piston way too short for street use. A 408C with CHI heads will make as much horsepower as most 427W combinations though. I guess some people just require the "magic number", but I think it's overrated...

I did a 408C with 208cc CHI heads (out of the box), their 3V intake (out of the box), 10.3:1 compression, and a very mild solid roller and it pumped out 575hp very easily....no fuss, no muss. The CHI heads are the only heads that I've flowed and the results were what the manufacturer said they should be....

If you can't tell, I'm very pro-Cleveland....haha

Last edited by blykins; 12-09-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the answer, Brent!

What do you think about the AFD's....sound good to me and not as expensive as the CHI products....just curious.

I can't imagine wanting to twist a Cleveland up to 7,500

Quote:
If you can't tell, I'm very pro-Cleveland....haha
Great minds and all that....two peas in a pod....yeah, me too !

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never used a set, but for the street, I would put my money on the CHI heads. The 3V is a mix between a 2V velocity and a 4V flow....very sweet for the street.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info, I may try to increase the Cleveland to 500 hp at the flywheel. Thanks