Thread: Ken Miles?!?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnkk View Post
So, in my search to learn more about the history of the Cobra, I've come across some "Elvis is alive in Kalamazoo", "Bruce Lee is alive and coming back" type of stuff...

Read this from Car & Driver article:

The overriding question was why would Ken Miles, successful race driver, end up in the backwaters of Wisconsin, even if he'd managed to survive the terrible crash at Riverside? "He claimed to have been given a couple of million dollars by Ford to disappear," recalls Jones. "He said they didn't want a badly injured survivor of one of their car crashes to be in public. After moving to Hawaii, he told me his wife, Mollie, and son, Peter, became estranged and made off with his money." Jones attempted to get some answers from the likes of Carroll Shelby, who, when asked about Miles at the Monterey Historics, reportedly dropped a plate of food in shock and refused to speak about the issue. Phil Remington, Shelby's aide-de-camp during the Cobra wars, vehemently claimed that Miles had been killed, as did Shelby driver Bob Bondurant So exactly what is going on here? Says Jones: "Based on my years as a police officer, you have a sixth sense when people are covering things up. Frankly, I think there was a cover-up."

As for this guy being Ken Miles, even Jones has reservations. "The ear lobes bothered me, as did the fact that he wore his watch on his wrong hand, according to the pictures of the real Ken Miles. That and the lack of an English accent and his erratic memory gave me real pause. But the guy was not a huckster. I absolutely can't say for certain, but there was something about him that said he was the genuine article."

Is there any basis to this? Elvis and Bruce Lee were/are American, hell worldwide Icons. Other than the 12 of us here and a select few others, nobody has ever even heard of Ken Miles so why fake something with somebody who very few know who he is anyway? Seems sooo strange?!?
So which issue of Car & Driver are you talking about? Could it be an April edition?