• 1 Post By Steve Cassani

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ken Miles?!?

So, in my search to learn more about the history of the Cobra, I've come across some "Elvis is alive in Kalamazoo", "Bruce Lee is alive and coming back" type of stuff...

Read this from Car & Driver article:

The overriding question was why would Ken Miles, successful race driver, end up in the backwaters of Wisconsin, even if he'd managed to survive the terrible crash at Riverside? "He claimed to have been given a couple of million dollars by Ford to disappear," recalls Jones. "He said they didn't want a badly injured survivor of one of their car crashes to be in public. After moving to Hawaii, he told me his wife, Mollie, and son, Peter, became estranged and made off with his money." Jones attempted to get some answers from the likes of Carroll Shelby, who, when asked about Miles at the Monterey Historics, reportedly dropped a plate of food in shock and refused to speak about the issue. Phil Remington, Shelby's aide-de-camp during the Cobra wars, vehemently claimed that Miles had been killed, as did Shelby driver Bob Bondurant So exactly what is going on here? Says Jones: "Based on my years as a police officer, you have a sixth sense when people are covering things up. Frankly, I think there was a cover-up."

As for this guy being Ken Miles, even Jones has reservations. "The ear lobes bothered me, as did the fact that he wore his watch on his wrong hand, according to the pictures of the real Ken Miles. That and the lack of an English accent and his erratic memory gave me real pause. But the guy was not a huckster. I absolutely can't say for certain, but there was something about him that said he was the genuine article."

Is there any basis to this? Elvis and Bruce Lee were/are American, hell worldwide Icons. Other than the 12 of us here and a select few others, nobody has ever even heard of Ken Miles so why fake something with somebody who very few know who he is anyway? Seems sooo strange?!?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnkk View Post
Is there any basis to this? Elvis and Bruce Lee were/are American, hell worldwide Icons. Other than the 12 of us here and a select few others, nobody has ever even heard of Ken Miles so why fake something with somebody who very few know who he is anyway? Seems sooo strange?!?
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis in the frozen food aisle of a Piggly Wiggly just a couple years ago. So, count me in as a possible believer. Of course, we buy those cheesy tabloids at the checkout stand, too -- we love 'em.

Last edited by patrickt; 01-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, in my search to learn more about the history of the Cobra, I've come across some "Elvis is alive in Kalamazoo", "Bruce Lee is alive and coming back" type of stuff...

Read this from Car & Driver article:

The overriding question was why would Ken Miles, successful race driver, end up in the backwaters of Wisconsin, even if he'd managed to survive the terrible crash at Riverside? "He claimed to have been given a couple of million dollars by Ford to disappear," recalls Jones. "He said they didn't want a badly injured survivor of one of their car crashes to be in public. After moving to Hawaii, he told me his wife, Mollie, and son, Peter, became estranged and made off with his money." Jones attempted to get some answers from the likes of Carroll Shelby, who, when asked about Miles at the Monterey Historics, reportedly dropped a plate of food in shock and refused to speak about the issue. Phil Remington, Shelby's aide-de-camp during the Cobra wars, vehemently claimed that Miles had been killed, as did Shelby driver Bob Bondurant So exactly what is going on here? Says Jones: "Based on my years as a police officer, you have a sixth sense when people are covering things up. Frankly, I think there was a cover-up."

As for this guy being Ken Miles, even Jones has reservations. "The ear lobes bothered me, as did the fact that he wore his watch on his wrong hand, according to the pictures of the real Ken Miles. That and the lack of an English accent and his erratic memory gave me real pause. But the guy was not a huckster. I absolutely can't say for certain, but there was something about him that said he was the genuine article."

So which issue of Car & Driver are you talking about? Could it be an April edition?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
So which issue of Car & Driver are you talking about? Could it be an April edition?
Close... March:

Ken Miles Alive and Well in Wisconsin? - Column - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hope none of Miles' family, or any close friend, is made to endure this display of meaness. In claiming to give voice to a 'possibility' and couching that claim in the presumption of conspiracy by a large corporation, the suggestion Miles is alive shows itself to merit comparison with with undermining the respect owed a dead soldier for the 'reason' God, unlike American's, hates homosexuality. Giving voice to the idea is symptomatic of the speaker's inability to find himself in the company of other people before he learns their thinking. Offering the idea Miles is alive a place in a popular magazine strains to make the reader hear it as satire. Repeating the idea here is, if offerred in any but a misdirected attempt at humor, disrespectful.
KevinW likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cassani View Post
I hope none of Miles' family, or any close friend, is made to endure this display of meaness. In claiming to give voice to a 'possibility' and couching that claim in the presumption of conspiracy by a large corporation, the suggestion Miles is alive shows itself to merit comparison with with undermining the respect owed a dead soldier for the 'reason' God, unlike American's, hates homosexuality. Giving voice to the idea is symptomatic of the speaker's inability to find himself in the company of other people before he learns their thinking. Offering the idea Miles is alive a place in a popular magazine strains to make the reader hear it as satire. Repeating the idea here is, if offerred in any but a misdirected attempt at humor, disrespectful.
Are you even close to serious?!?

It was a Car & Driver magazine article. Do a search, there are other articles like it. How do you fault C&D or me for something claimed by an individual and investigated by a retired police officer. Seems very odd all the way around but for god sakes, don't get too full of yourself here...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There was a guy that came forward in the early 1900's that claimed to be Billy the Kid. He was investigated and most thought he was not. But EVERYONE knows who Billy the Kid is...

This guy was likely a fraud too but why try to impersonate a fairly unknown guy?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ive just seen Ayrton Senna at Mcdonalds in Santa Cruz said was doing great flippin Gerhard Bergers...............
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

WOW, we're a bit uptight.........

just so you know, my neighbor is the love child of Ken Miles and Judy Garland

Jim Morrison attends his birthday every year
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.m.b.c View Post
ive just seen ayrton senna at mcdonalds in santa cruz said was doing great flippin gerhard bergers...............
:lol:
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
WOW, we're a bit uptight.........
It's like a men's mid-age crisis forum.

...ummm, wait...

nevermind.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oh and the guy pictured in the article as being ken.....no way......ken was uglier than that when he was young. I don't think his taste would include an Amsoil cap with pins in it and a college t-shirt.......lol
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis in the frozen food aisle of a Piggly Wiggly just a couple years ago. So, count me in as a possible believer. Of course, we buy those cheesy tabloids at the checkout stand, too -- we love 'em.
I even helped him find the frozen banana wedges and peanut butter. After which, of course, he said to me "Thank, you... thank you very much." Yep, it was Elvis alright.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Perhaps you did notice this story was written by Brock in 2003?

I have heard this before.....so when he was injured he was taken to the hospital under an assumed name. And Ford paid the bill....and no one noticed? And of course all of the witnesses have been paid off or died an "unexplained, unusual" and handy death. Likely at the hands of the retired military people who silenced all of the Roswell witnesses........................

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes it was all very untimely because all of the players were already so busy working on the fake Apollo landing.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Perhaps you did notice this story was written by Brock in 2003?

I have heard this before.....so when he was injured he was taken to the hospital under an assumed name. And Ford paid the bill....and no one noticed? And of course all of the witnesses have been paid off or died an "unexplained, unusual" and handy death. Likely at the hands of the retired military people who silenced all of the Roswell witnesses........................
I know. It is just so strange considering the person...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

C'mon Guys! These are icons from the past that many (or most) of you wouldn't have the balls to have done. Phil Hill, Miles...you going to start on Remington next? Who cares where they are now, really? They are a memory for all of us that cherish this heritage and should be respected as such.
OK, I'm done..
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I know. It is just so strange considering the person...
One of the major auto rags took this guys fingerprints (without his knowledge) and had them sent to a crime lab, they did not match a known example of the original Ken Miles. Every few years this topic comes up, every few years it gets shot down by the admission of this little, overlooked item.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
One of the major auto rags took this guys fingerprints (without his knowledge) and had them sent to a crime lab, they did not match a known example of the original Ken Miles. Every few years this topic comes up, every few years it gets shot down by the admission of this little, overlooked item.

Bill S.
Thanks. I am still shaking my head at how odd this is... not in a "it could be true" way but in a "why even do it / persue it way".

I wonder why a respected magazine like C&D wouldn't print that part of the story?!? Maybe I overestimate C&D when it comes to ethics...
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I think if Ken revealed himself as alive today he could make alot more $$$ alive than dead. Alot more. What would Ford do sue him for breach of contract???? lol