View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

As described by the ADR, you can have the speedometer anywhere in the field of view. Zedn has the right idea by field of view.

Just sit in the vehicle look forward as you would do driving the vehicle and you can determine the field of view pretty easily.

So guages towards the middle of the vehicle are fine, even my Wife's Yaris has a centre speedo/instrument cluster. But if you do move the guages from the traditional location make sure they are still easy to see, either large enough to be easily visible or tilted towards the driver.

Peter down on the console would probably be a little low and out of field of view in my opinion but it all depends on your seating position. i.e. a GT40 could have the speedo a lot lower than a Cobra due to the different seating heights etc.

Not placing the instruments behind the steering wheel has quite a few advantages, the instruments are never blocked by the steering wheel when turning and the visibiliy of instruments are not affected by height of driver or height adjustment of the column(if column is adjustable).

That extract that Zedn posted is from ADR 18/03.

Hope that helps mate.