View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American, 1965 427 FE, alloy MR heads, Sidewinder intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
I'm planning to buy a new Superformance MKIII built exactly to my specifications and I'm really looking forward to it. I love all classic muscle cars from the mid to late 60's and the Shelby Cobra 427 is my favorite! I plan to keep mine at least 20 years. But, it seems like a lot of guys get this dream car and then sell it within just a few years...WHY?
I was reminded of this post today after I nearly killed myself on a test run.

I rebuilt the motor in my CSX last summer and noticed lately that I have lost a ton of power. It felt like I had no secondaries and I noticed my pedal was way down, to the point that I could not heel/toe the pedals if I wanted to. The obvious place to start was the linkage and sure enough, the linkage had a loose point that changed the geometry. I was getting no secondary throttle and only about 25% primary. Interestingly enough, the car was still as fast as I ever needed it on the street!

I fixed the problem and took her for a ride. Wow. Major improvement and I think the throttle was never right from the time of the rebuild. I never remember having this much power.

I pulled out into traffic and brought her up to speed; maybe up to about 50 miles per hour. I was in second gear and wanted to blow doors on the surrounding traffic so I stabbed the throttle without shifting. SUDDENLY, the car twisted to the right. I overcompensated and she spun around to the left a complete 360 spin. I recovered to the front/original direction and pulled over at the next turn off to change my pants.

I love the car and won't sell it. However, I get it. This is not for everyone and you probably need to have a screw loose to drive one.