Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Why Do Cobra Owners Sell So Fast?

I'm planning to buy a new Superformance MKIII built exactly to my specifications and I'm really looking forward to it. I love all classic muscle cars from the mid to late 60's and the Shelby Cobra 427 is my favorite! I plan to keep mine at least 20 years. But, it seems like a lot of guys get this dream car and then sell it within just a few years...WHY?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

In my case it was to build or buy another one. On my 6th Cobra now after 16 years.....
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Gary is the exception. The overwhelming reason for quick sales is because the buyer realizes that the car is not what he expected. The purchase was a "flash in the pan" and the love affair is short lived. It takes a special person to both want, and keep, this car year after year after year.
Cobrajames, tuska and justcobra like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

They are expensive, impractical, dangerous toys it does surprise me how infrequently many owners drive these cars.
justcobra and 86fxst like this.

Last edited by vatdevil; 06-15-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Some buyers can't get used to the most visceral driving experience money can buy. Oh, did I mention they're beautiful too.
rodneym likes this.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Gary is the exception. The overwhelming reason for quick sales is because the buyer realizes that the car is not what he expected. The purchase was a "flash in the pan" and the love affair is short lived. It takes a special person to both want, and keep, this car year after year after year.
+1^ !!

This is the #1 reason - IMHO

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Reality check, changed personal circumstances, (divorce, because of the car?) Kids and other obligations. Financial changes and there are loads of people who enjoy the build. Something about the journey not the destination.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

For some the dream is obviously better than the reality.

and if you are constantly changing things it can get fairly expensive.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
I'm planning to buy a new Superformance MKIII built exactly to my specifications and I'm really looking forward to it. I love all classic muscle cars from the mid to late 60's and the Shelby Cobra 427 is my favorite! I plan to keep mine at least 20 years. But, it seems like a lot of guys get this dream car and then sell it within just a few years...WHY?
Because, you will buy a Superformance, and then want a KIRKHAM...
Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure Cobra people change cars more often then fx Corvette people... Your statement is not a fact, but your personal opinion

That said, I "think" reasons are:
1) You spend years building your Cobra... and then you are off to the next Cobra project ( don't forget Cobras are not "off the shelf" cars )
2) Change in personal life
3) Those who sell fast... wrong car - bought a z06

From a personal perspective...: I got my Cobra 3 years ago after reading for 2 years - Like you I also made a list to build my car "exactly to my specifications and I'm really looking forward to it"... BUT dreams change

If I were to build my Cobra today, it would be different...

I would suggest you buy a used one - drive it for a year, and then build your dreamcar

Good luck
Henrik
86fxst likes this.

Last edited by henrik; 06-16-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

My SPF is my therapy. Working on it and driving it are the complete opposite of my usual mode of transportation. (tractor trailer) I plan on keeping it. Besides what's cooler than a Cobra? Tom
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
In my case it was to build or buy another one. On my 6th Cobra now after 16 years.....
Sometimes it is the pleasure of the build, or sometimes it can be just a change of pace, a different color, or a different drivetrain combination. I call it the grass is always greener syndrome

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
The're hot,the're loud,the're cramped for space, have not roof so it good weather driving only,no A/C, they get terrible gas mileage, the wife doesn't like to ride it them because her hair gets messed up.......

But I think most that sell quickly just didn't realize what it takes to own and use these cars to make them worthwhile, the're used to a Z06 with A/C, CD player and all the creature comforts that a Cobra doesn't have......and once you get caught in a big rain storm far from home, your outlook on a Cobra changes.......

It takes a real car guy to own,drive,maintain and keep a Cobra for any length of time......
krkucin likes this.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile short story

after seening a Cobra kit car at a car show in 1997 and finding out that you could build your own I did 18 months of research. In 99 I started buying parts. In 2002 I titled mine. Now I have over 37,000 miles on it and I don't know how much I have spend, maybe three or four times my first buget.
And my list today would be much different that my first list.

I enjoy driving and working on my Kit Car.

Henrik's advice to buy used and then build later is good advice.

Make a list and then find a used one that is close, purchase, drive and then decide if you want to change or sell.

I had a guy (Mike) to buy a used Cobra two years ago and brought it to me to go thru it and change belt, fluilds, etc. Then he wanted more hp. New motor, radaitor, exhaust and trannie.
Now he has spend half again what he paid for the car. But he is very happy, drives the car every day it does not rain. 5000 miles later and he brings it back to me for a hard top. Now he drives it every day. He has twice the money in his Cobra than what it would sell for but he doesn't care because it not for sale.
Next week we are driving to the London Cobra Show. This will be my 12 year to make the trip. This will be Mike's second year.
I do enjoy my Cobra.

Dwight
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
The're hot,the're loud,the're cramped for space, have not roof so it good weather driving only,no A/C, they get terrible gas mileage, the wife doesn't like to ride it them because her hair gets messed up.......

But I think most that sell quickly just didn't realize what it takes to own and use these cars to make them worthwhile, the're used to a Z06 with A/C, CD player and all the creature comforts that a Cobra doesn't have......and once you get caught in a big rain storm far from home, your outlook on a Cobra changes.......

It takes a real car guy to own,drive,maintain and keep a Cobra for any length of time......

This pretty much captured my experience. I loved the Cobra, wife hated it. Had a Mustang and the Cobra, only room for one car in the garage so she could have the other side back and the Mustang sold first (bummer). So the Cobra still had to go and got the Ford GT instead. It's civilized enough for her and fun enough for me.

By the way, it's not getting caught in a rainstorm in a Cobra that is a bummer. It's having to stop at a stop light that gets uncomfortable.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-16-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I have owned my Cobra for 9 years and bought it used. It was built in 1980 and I have spent lots of money making it MY car. The car was owned by six people prior to me. The shortest time owned was less than one year while two owners kept the car for at least 6 years.

The Cobra has been my dream car for years but an original was always out of my price range. It is not the vehicle for everyone, much like a motorcycle as far as creature comforts go. I'm finding that as I get older (67) it is harder to get in and out of and be comfortable while driving. I still love the visceral feel and excitement of driving the car but I don't find myself behind the wheel near as much as in the past. If I were to sell the car it would be because I am not using the car like I did in the past and I feel these cars are made to be driven and enjoyed. My son continually reminds me that I don't really need the money and he will be happy to inherit the Cobra when I'm to feeble to drive the car.

I think that there are far to many reasons for "Why do Cobra owners sell so fast?" to narrow it down to a couple of answers. The most common one is usually going to be " I need the money for _________."
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

I think it's the practicality of it. It is your dream car, and then you get hit by an unexpected rain storm, or you can't take it to a show because there are a chance of showers.

Or, in my case, with a 20 month old and a 3 year old, you realize that you cannot take your kids in it when they are young, and you can only take, "Daddy, take me with you!!!!" for so long. Even though I have wanted one for almost 30 years, I feel like it is MY thing and that the family cannot share it with me unless we take two cars to a show or wherever. I feel selfish at times even though it is my therapy for a stressful career.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Street View Post
Or, in my case, with a 20 month old and a 3 year old, you realize that you cannot take your kids in it when they are young, and you can only take, "Daddy, take me with you!!!!" for so long.
I can attest that this is an issue, as I have three small kids and my other toy is a '62 Vette. I often wish I had something with 4 seats so I could take everyone. But I went ahead and bought a Cobra kit and am building it with all of them. The experience of building it with them is the main point, and I don't think I will sell it anytime soon. I can always look forward to my next project, which will either be a truck or have 4 or more seats (maybe a '49 Suburban or a Galaxie convertible?).
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I'm at 21 years with the same old homebuilt Shell Valley. I just still enjoy it. My kids, who are now grown, loved the car when they were little. My wife still tolerates it, as long as I don't force it on her. I've been hot, wet, cold and a little cramped in the car many times. My spine gets compressed another inch or so every London show weekend.

Yeah, I think I'll keep the old car. It's just what I wanted.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 148 Nightwatch Blue
Not Ranked     

I must be the exception, I have had my era for over 20 years and to this day no other form of transportion gives me the smiles per miles than my cobra. I hope to own it for another 20 years

601HP, Tutosnake and 86fxst like this.

Last edited by Metal-morphous; 06-16-2013 at 01:27 PM..