View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I have always set the valve lash with the cylinder at tdc----been doing it that way for 60+ years--farm tractors,trucks,cars, race cars including top fuelers, funny cars, pro stockers,dirt tracters, sprint cars, indy(Cart) cars-have set held records in every class except Indy cars--------------------
I agree. The best way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i use a black sharpie and make a hash mark on the rocker after i have set lash. just so when i'm done i can be sure i'm done with glance
I do similar with a drawing, two rows of 8 circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
The most accurate would be to make a mark on the crank when ...whichever valve is fully open...ie:the spring compressed ,then turn the motor exactly 180 degrees and the lifter will for sure be on the bottom of the lobe.....................................I have mostly also used TDC ........
360 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post

I recall someone telling me a while back that the "new" way of doing it related to the modern cam profiles, and that at tdc, the lifter was not necessarily on the "heel" of the cam.

The chart shows setting a cyl at tdc, but not adjusting that cyl's valves, but hopefully the ones on the "heel" with less turning of the crank and without the ambiguity of the " starting to move" or "just before it stops" positioning.
Never heard of a 4 stroke cam that was "not necessarily on the heel" of the cam at TDC. If that was the case, where would you adjust the valves, and would the engine run at all?

We've been adjusting more than two valves on 4 cylinder engines for donkeys years. No 1 on TDC, adjust both of 1, inlet of 2, exhaust of 3, rotate 360, adjust the rest.

Also, if you can't see where the engine is, there is nothing wrong with EOIC - exhaust opening, inlet closing - exhaust opening adjust inlet, inlet closing adjust exhaust.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 09-13-2013 at 05:40 PM..