View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New member - Looking for answers - 460 Cobra

Hi everybody.

I came across a possible deal on a replica sitting on an LTD cut chassis, with a late 70s Econoline 460, 1970 to 71 toploader and a Jaguar rear-end.

BTW, this takes place in Bangkok.

If I go ahead, I would like it to look really good, and handle the power properly. I have no illusions about fooling any knowledgeable people, but if it doesn't look like the real thing, and if it handles like a POS, I'm out.

So I'm attracted to the idea, and I will probably be asking a lot of questions as we go along.

Looking at the engine bay, I think a 460 will be a bit tight in there.

Questions:
- I found a website called Cobra restorers that advertise sidemount headers for 427s. Can they go straight on the 460?
- If I can put on the sidemounts, what carb should I use to get started (without any further engine mods, i.e. no manifold change)? I ask because I'm pretty sure the original carb won't deliver enough fuel with sidemounts.
- I would like to find the original reverse speedometer, anyone know where?
- Did the original Cobras have Girling racing brakes?
- What is the original spec of a late 70s 460 on a van? Like how far up will it rev, and what would be the HP/torque level on it?
- Can I change the steering in the original LTD to RHD? Do you recommend I change for a Jag or UK Ford steering rack?
- It's very hot out here, is there any way to channel A/C cold air without ruining the A/C unit, and is it simple to install?

That pretty much sums it all for now.

Many thanks
All the best
AGP22