View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That does suck but you don't need to take it to a repair shop. My recommendation is to do a complete reinstall of the OS if this is a windows machine. Windows has built in recovery with options to completely wipe your C: Drive and reinstall windows to the original factory state. It will rebuild your registry from scratch and all orphaned/bad/ruminant registry entries deleted as part of that process. Your PC will be in the shape it was when you 1st bought it. It's a simple thing to do and pretty much 100% automatic. Just shut down, then power up and press the F10 key during boot. That will take you to your recovery options where a factory reinstall (complete C: Drive wipe) can be selected. Just did it on my Windows Vista laptop and it was EASY. Just make sure you have all the "executables" (.exe files you bought} saved to a CD or thumb drive so you can reinstall those later. If you take it to a repair shop that's what they would probably do, or worse - fix it so it runs but without necessarily really taking care of a registry filled with orphaned/bad/ruminant entries. If you do decide to do a complete reinstall, just make sure no peripherals are attached to your PC when you boot up in F10 mode, let windows reinstall then attach your peripherals and install any 3rd party drivers later.