View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Started my motor for the first time!!!

I spent the day at Venom Custom Fabrication helping Scott hook up everything to start my motor for the first time on Australian soil. It had previously run on a dyno in California where it sheared a distributor gear. The incorrect gear had been used. When the motor arrived in Australia, I had to ensure that no metal fragments were left anwhere in the motor. A new gear was installed ready for the big day. That day was today.

I have a Vortech YS supercharged stroker SVO block 398 cube motor that's going to use a Motec M48 computer with a 90mm throttle body. The purpose of starting the motor now was to ensure that everything looked "normal" before I take the motor 1600k's down to Melbourne for a dyno tune. I didn't want to take it all the way down there to find oil leaks, dist gear failures, blower belt/bracket related problems etc, etc. All I wanted was to hear it run (without problems). I wasn't going to go to the trouble of wiring in a Motec for 15 minutes running time, so I bolted on a spare carburettor I had at home. Not just any carb mind you, but a Holley 1150cfm Dominator off my 460 big block Fairmont!!! Scott wired up the MSD digital 6 ignition and a starter panel. A gravity feed fuel system and some "creative" placement of other critical items made the process easier. Hours were spent preparing the braided hoses, wiring and ignition timing, but at 5pm tonight...... it made some noise

Now I know what a Vortech YS blower sounds like, now I know what my 1 7/8" primaries into 3 1/2" sidepipes with 5" mufflers sounds like, I know the blower brackets / blower brace and pulley alignment is perfect and I know that I can't wait to drive this thing!!!

Today certainly was GOOD FRIDAY!!!