Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-29-2002, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Started my motor for the first time!!!

I spent the day at Venom Custom Fabrication helping Scott hook up everything to start my motor for the first time on Australian soil. It had previously run on a dyno in California where it sheared a distributor gear. The incorrect gear had been used. When the motor arrived in Australia, I had to ensure that no metal fragments were left anwhere in the motor. A new gear was installed ready for the big day. That day was today.

I have a Vortech YS supercharged stroker SVO block 398 cube motor that's going to use a Motec M48 computer with a 90mm throttle body. The purpose of starting the motor now was to ensure that everything looked "normal" before I take the motor 1600k's down to Melbourne for a dyno tune. I didn't want to take it all the way down there to find oil leaks, dist gear failures, blower belt/bracket related problems etc, etc. All I wanted was to hear it run (without problems). I wasn't going to go to the trouble of wiring in a Motec for 15 minutes running time, so I bolted on a spare carburettor I had at home. Not just any carb mind you, but a Holley 1150cfm Dominator off my 460 big block Fairmont!!! Scott wired up the MSD digital 6 ignition and a starter panel. A gravity feed fuel system and some "creative" placement of other critical items made the process easier. Hours were spent preparing the braided hoses, wiring and ignition timing, but at 5pm tonight...... it made some noise

Now I know what a Vortech YS blower sounds like, now I know what my 1 7/8" primaries into 3 1/2" sidepipes with 5" mufflers sounds like, I know the blower brackets / blower brace and pulley alignment is perfect and I know that I can't wait to drive this thing!!!

Today certainly was GOOD FRIDAY!!!
Old 04-04-2002, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi 750,
good to see youve got your engine running,should be a weapon.

i need to to ask some questions regarding engine numbers.
ive been told that i need to run an 99 onwards efi engine to comply with the new australian design rules,if you build up an engine do you just tell the rta that its a 2002 motor .what im trying to say is if you have a brand new block and parts can the engine be numbered as 2002.
thanks.michael
Old 04-04-2002, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Michael,
The regulations must be different in the southern states because I can't even think of one single 99+ motor installed in a Cobra The cars still need the emissions compliant junk that came with the motor (charcoal canister, cat convertors etc), but I know of other cars up here that are using early to mid 90's motors without any compliancing problems.

Geez, guys are still putting carburetted motors in wothout problems, and I can't even think of a 99+ motor that's not fuel injected.

Anyway, the SVO Motorsport blocks don't have any engine numbers on them at all. You could stamp whatever you like on there!
Old 04-05-2002, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default what year motor?

Hello Michael, on my resent travels i was advised by a kit supplier that to register a car in QLD the motor need s to be a 1986 or later to be compliant with the regs.
i am not sure which motor you are thinking of using but i know that VL commodore was 1987 model with V8 and carbie.
i am not really a ford man so i couldnt say what model falcon or F series truck would comply with this reg.
good luck with it.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default nsw rego for cobras

Hi micheal the new regulations in nsw are still being finalised last time i spoke to my engineer it allrevolves around emissions by making you use a latter model engine it brings it under tighter
emission rules as they very from year to year the obvious choise for australian cobra buliders is to use the chev gen 3 motor as you can buy them new from gmh only problem then is engine management whether you can use after market units like motec
or haltech.
Its a game of wait and see at the moment .
I recomend all my customers to at least go with efi now as carby
engines have numbered days. regards scot at vcf
Old 04-09-2002, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

craig,boxhead,scott.

thanks for your input, we rang the rta and it turns out that the
engine only has to be from 88 onwards.the former infomation
came from a cobra manufactuer.but if you want to build your own engine,even if every thing is new including the block, you have to
have it emmisions tested. but there are ways around this thankfully

thanks michael
Old 04-09-2002, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,

what are your thoughts on the 1uz-fe lexus engine,i know there are few cobras running around up north with them and i saw the
twin turbo car at the nationals
thanks michael
Old 04-09-2002, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

michael the twin tubro lexus your talking about I bulit for a friend
and customer paul gillis .
which has been a great source of interest in my business ,
the 1uzfe is work of art in my opinion it has every thing you want in a performance motor I am selling my chevy powered cobra and
building alexus powered cob again with twin turbos and eventually 4wd should be alot of fun .
there is also a range of gear box options too from a t5 to tko tremec and supra.
also further too the engines compliance i spoke with the engineer yesterday and he said that usa engines built in 1990 are the same emission standard as a 2000 model in aust. so up to 10 year old usa imports are ok to use. regards scott .
Old 04-10-2002, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Hi Scot,

i can get a lexus v8 for $1200 but i would proberly use a positve
displacemant supercharger {whipplecharger etc}my only concern
was where to get a inlet manifold from.

thanks michael
Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the only problem with pd blowers is that its very hard to control inlet temps. ie intercooling though water injection works ok.
as far as a manifiold goes you can use the bottom half of the lexus and make an adptor plate to mount the blower.havent done it yet but probably will in the near future.
go toyota power. regards scott.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Scott,

i came across a web site <www.forcedairtech.com.au>in wa i think, $7500 for a pds kit,with a yella terra yt1500 pd blower

i could get a vortech kit for less than that ,have you done any
vortech supercharged toyotas as yet? thanks michael
Old 04-12-2002, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
i might post a new thread pertaining to toyota power.
thanks for your input

michael

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: