View Single Post
Old 04-01-2002, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

The Fangio kidnapping is well-documented. Gentleman that he was, Fangio befriended his kidnappers and actually corresponded with some of them over the years. He reported that they treated him exceptionally well and made it clear they had no intention of harming him but were trying to draw attention to their cause. Imagine the uproar today if someone like Michael Schumacher were kidnapped!

The English magazine Motorsport did a multi-part article a year or two ago on the 100 greatest drivers of all time. They had a large panel of contributors that included drivers, journalists, and others intimately involved in the racing world who got together and compliled the list. It was pretty fascinating reading; I'll have to see if I can dig up the issues. I recall that the top ten included Schumacher, Senna, Moss, Jimmy Clark, Ascari, Fangio, Gilles Villeneuve, etc. The Numero Uno in their estimation was Nuvolari. They sure generated a furor over some of their picks; there were readers writing in who were livid over the placement of some of the drivers on the list. Kind of like arguing about the greatest car ever built, or the best sports team ever; it's tough to compare people, cars, or events from different generations and levels of technology--

Bob