Thread: Coolant.
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Be carefull that you use this stuff within it's design parameters. And Karl states exactly what I'm talking about.

If you read through the test materials, you'll discover the EWC does 2 important things. First, it's boiling point >375*. Boiling point for a decent antifreeze mix under pressure is something like 240*'ish.

Second, It doesn't vaporize and expand as it gets hot, so it doesn't develop pressure. Even at 300* it won't pressurize the system and pop the cap - or anything else.

Those are some very nice features, and can really help prevent some problems. Makes for a great safety margin, I think.

What it apparently does not do, is transfer heat significantly better than a 25% antifreeze mix. If it does I couldn't find that data. And Karl proves that it does not in our application. And that's the primary function of the coolant, transferrign

BUT... take a look at what Karl said. It still gets to the same temp, it just doesn't boil over any more. Well, IMO, that's only made the situation worse instead of better. Now it still runs at 240*, but he doesn't worry about it. Well, I would! You're decreasing performance, efficiency, and longevity. Running an engine that hot all the time is not good.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto