View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick, I left Boston in 1959 and then Massachusetts in 1963 so it's been a long time to recognize particulars. I do remember downing steamers and cold beers in Ipswich before I left though. Yeah, the Healey was a 40 odd year work in progress. I originally put in a 283 Chevy back in the late 60s but I hopped up the engine and started pulling spokes out of the wire wheels so I had to put on rear wheel mags and the project kept escalating and escalating as my drive trains got more and more powerful. Having a lot of race/hot rod friends and access to fabrication and machine shops and the like I was able to do just about anything so, as I wrote, it got to the point that it was just easier to build a custom frame and go from there. I decided to just do about everything a hot rodder would want to do without regard for practicality. I had to detune the engine a bit for the street but it still puts out over 600 HP normally aspirated with a single carb. That said, I appreciate and like what you've done. You car is much more driver friendly and usable. I like the stock look and relative creature comforts of the BJ-7 (much prettier than the BJ-8 with the lower ride and old style dash). Good job and very nicely done! Best, Ron