Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By 750hp
  • 2 Post By HealeyRick
  • 1 Post By rcweingart

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Austin Healy V8 for sale

- Healey Factory

Interesting vehicle, like ad mentions, really does remind me of a 289 street cobra. Quite tough looking, but subtle at the same time.

Looks a little rough in person, perhaps with some money thrown at it. Driving position is a little wired, pedals are offset to the right and the wheel to the left!

Adam.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Certainly not a 100M factory car.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

...or for less money you could buy mine with a 289 and toploader

Unique Cars And Parts Classifieds

Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

i saw the black one last week when i was on the way to hastings, interesting car, looks fairly tough. but the matt black paint is a little off putting.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     
Default Weingart Healey

Check this out:

Custom Austin Healey V-8 - Hot Rod Magazine
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I could get $50,000 for mine, I'd drive it to Oz.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PGCoyvWUew[/ame]
LoBelly and dallas_ like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Rick,
Your car turned out really nice!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Rick,
Your car turned out really nice!
Thanks, Dallas. Much appreciated. Zoltrix's comment about a 289 street Cobra was the idea I was going for ... like some Healey guy in 1965 was trying to "Cobraize" his Healey with a HiPo 289 swap. The motor's a 5.0 dressed as a 289 and the tranny's a T5Z. Except for some oversize tailpipe outlets and a 289 Cobra style shift lever, the car looks stock ... until I open the hood or turn the key. I'm grateful to the Cobra forums for the help in driveline decisions. I knew if it worked in a Cobra, it would work for me since the cars are so similar in weight.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Rick, I started out with a stock BJ-7 and there is nary a stock Healey component left other than three different Healey model bodies melded together. I went through the steps of using stock components but with every HP upgrade I had to replace with stronger and stronger components until it just reached the point that it was easier to start with a custom chrome moly frame, design my own suspension and brakes and go from there at which point I could use any body I wanted so I did what I wanted there as well. I want the front end of a 3000 because I converted the non functional hood scoop into a functional cold air box. I wanted the lay down windshield and rear shroud of the 100-4 but couldn't use the 100-4 door as they were 3" too short so I cut down 3000 roadster doors to fit the 100-4 cowl and rear shroud. The mechanicals were easy as well since everything was custom and I could do what I wanted including dry-sumping the engine which you just about have to do to get it to turn to 9 grand. I was a former experimental aerospace engine so designing and fabricating it all was easy. Full ground effects car subtly done so as not to make a caricature of the Healy lines. What looks like a chin scoop is actually a front down force wing and the car is a tunnel car because I didn't want to use a rear wind or spoiler. If you lie down and look under the rear of the car you can see the tunnels. BTW, I'm originally from Malden.
ERA2076 likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I've seen your car before and was truly impressed at its engineering and build quality. Nice to talk with you. My swap is pretty much the backyard version of all those 60s V8 Healey articles I saw in Hot Rod as an impressionable teenager. Yours is obviously at the other end of the scale. Uprating the motor in the Healey takes you on that inevitable journey to improve everything else in the car. Since I wanted to stay with the wire wheels and keep the rest of the car relatively stock, I tried not to overpower the car and don't dump the clutch in smoky burnouts. I really like your 100 windshield ... a nice touch. Since you're a Malden native, perhaps you recognized the road to Crane Beach in Ipswich in my video?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Rick, I left Boston in 1959 and then Massachusetts in 1963 so it's been a long time to recognize particulars. I do remember downing steamers and cold beers in Ipswich before I left though. Yeah, the Healey was a 40 odd year work in progress. I originally put in a 283 Chevy back in the late 60s but I hopped up the engine and started pulling spokes out of the wire wheels so I had to put on rear wheel mags and the project kept escalating and escalating as my drive trains got more and more powerful. Having a lot of race/hot rod friends and access to fabrication and machine shops and the like I was able to do just about anything so, as I wrote, it got to the point that it was just easier to build a custom frame and go from there. I decided to just do about everything a hot rodder would want to do without regard for practicality. I had to detune the engine a bit for the street but it still puts out over 600 HP normally aspirated with a single carb. That said, I appreciate and like what you've done. You car is much more driver friendly and usable. I like the stock look and relative creature comforts of the BJ-7 (much prettier than the BJ-8 with the lower ride and old style dash). Good job and very nicely done! Best, Ron
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcweingart View Post
Dayum!

That is nice. Don't see cars like that everyday.

Well played sir!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: