View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Question for Owners of Originals

When does an original cobra stop becoming an original?

When I was in the market for an original '67 GTO the first thing I did was buy a Matching Number Guide for GM Classics. That gave me VIN, sequence number, part number and serial numbers for the major components. Once I had those, any '67 goat claiming to be original was scrutinized for engine and transmission ID's with the same sequence number as the chassis VIN, and the rear axle/differential’s dates code and casting numbers corresponded to the vehicle and year listed in the guide. I found one and enjoyed it for 7 years before selling it as a matching number car for a slight profit. I remember the carb was the toughest nut to crack, in '67 GM went from a Holley to a Rochester, early '67's had the Holley and mine had a Rochester - it took some time to ferret it out but I did. That 400 CID Y-block had 280K miles on it and was never rebuilt.

So when does an original cobra stop becoming an original? What do the collectors of original cobras look for before buying? Just curious, it seems there is no standard that is followed with the collector market in general, and the SAAC appears to be silent on the subject regarding original cobras.