Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-24-2014, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Question for Owners of Originals

When does an original cobra stop becoming an original?

When I was in the market for an original '67 GTO the first thing I did was buy a Matching Number Guide for GM Classics. That gave me VIN, sequence number, part number and serial numbers for the major components. Once I had those, any '67 goat claiming to be original was scrutinized for engine and transmission ID's with the same sequence number as the chassis VIN, and the rear axle/differential’s dates code and casting numbers corresponded to the vehicle and year listed in the guide. I found one and enjoyed it for 7 years before selling it as a matching number car for a slight profit. I remember the carb was the toughest nut to crack, in '67 GM went from a Holley to a Rochester, early '67's had the Holley and mine had a Rochester - it took some time to ferret it out but I did. That 400 CID Y-block had 280K miles on it and was never rebuilt.

So when does an original cobra stop becoming an original? What do the collectors of original cobras look for before buying? Just curious, it seems there is no standard that is followed with the collector market in general, and the SAAC appears to be silent on the subject regarding original cobras.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SAAC isn't silent on the subject, the entire registry is proof of it. It has established some working definitions which are:
Original: Main frame tubes and pieces carrying the serial number stampings have not been replaced or altered and were produced between 1962 and 1968.
Original/Restored: A car having less than 50% of it's original substructure or bodywork replaced but not the main frame tubes or pieces carrying the still existing serial number stampings.
Original/Rebodied: A car having more than 50% of it's original substructure or bodywork replaced but not the main frame tubes or pieces carrying the still existing serial number stampings.
Reconstruction: A car that has been rebuilt substantially to original specs, even replacement of main frame tubes but where some part of the car existed prior to reconstruction. Traceable documentation must be present.
Air Car: A car built from scratch, no original or legit documentation or serial numbers.

Now it might not be above some owners to misrepresent their cars as something they aren't for obvious reasons ($) but the registry exists to keep track of each car.
Larry
Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Go to the source, SAAC.
Buy a Registry. You'll have fewer questions at the end of the 1,618 page read.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Larry, I don't have a registry and do not intend to buy one (rodneym) So the condition of the substructure and body determines degree of originality, essentially what AC provided and the degree that it has remained in tact (my take on it). Motor, transmission and rearend accountability not part of it. I wonder if 2nd gen vettes (1963–1967) follow a similar criteria, just a curiosity and nothing more. That matching number guide for GM classics I mentioned earlier had a vette section in it with the same traceability info as the GTO.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Huge difference between vettes and Cobras. Vettes enjoyed a relatively stable production run each year for the most part and had the might of GM behind the parts supply. On the Cobra production line(s) things were swapped out as needed, when needed and sometimes there was little to no documentation.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Thanks for the info Larry, I don't have a registry and do not intend to buy one (rodneym) So the condition of the substructure and body determines degree of originality, essentially what AC provided and the degree that it has remained in tact (my take on it). Motor, transmission and rearend accountability not part of it. I wonder if 2nd gen vettes (1963–1967) follow a similar criteria, just a curiosity and nothing more. That matching number guide for GM classics I mentioned earlier had a vette section in it with the same traceability info as the GTO.
I owned a Corvette years ago but I wasn't involved in any club. Is there a registry or national organization that keeps track of the bloodline?
Larry
Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Huge difference between vettes and Cobras. Vettes enjoyed a relatively stable production run each year for the most part and had the might of GM behind the parts supply. On the Cobra production line(s) things were swapped out as needed, when needed and sometimes there was little to no documentation.
Understood, what was it, 50 made for homologation before the number was bumped to 100 and shelby left holding the bag on some extra chassis? I would think those 50 were complete cars with documentation but maybe not.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And yes, it does pretty much boil down to what AC Cars Ltd supplied back in the day to a degree. Of course, numbers matching original drivetrain plays a role in the cars originality and has a big effect on it's value but most original cars are not really very "original" any more. Bodies have been repaired, brakes have been changed, engines have been fixed, rebuilt, altered and so on. I saw a car that the owner told me was totally original and there's three different SW gauges of different years in the dash. It's still an original car though.
Larry
Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I owned a Corvette years ago but I wasn't involved in any club. Is there a registry or national organization that keeps track of the bloodline?
Larry
Maybe for the '63 Grand Sport, just a little pamphlet to cover the 5 cars built as "production" vehicles

I found this for the C2 vettes The Corvette C2 Registry

Note: listing is by year (upper left) that you can select from '63-'67.
Not a lot of detail there but I didn't dig into the site either.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Maybe for the '63 Grand Sport, just a little pamphlet to cover the 5 cars built as "production" vehicles

I found this for the C2 vettes The Corvette C2 Registry

Note: listing is by year (upper left) that you can select from '63-'67.
Not a lot of detail there but I didn't dig into the site either.
Well that's pretty cool! The registry is broken down into C1, C2, C3 etc.
Nice to see that there is record of each car if the owner wants to have it listed.
Larry
Old 05-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Larry
National Corvette Restorers Society:

National Corvette Restorers Society
Old 05-24-2014, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think we must get over the matching # nonsense and a Cobra might be a good start because non of them were alike. Get a car you like, drive it. Make extra money by investing in good shares on the stock market if you are afraid you loose money on the car purchase.

Cars are meant to be driven, hence they are called "automobiles".

The worst I read in the 90s was a Chevy which was extra rare because it had a 3-speed manual instead of a 4-speed. Get a life and put a 4-speed in it!

I hope owners of 60s cars get over themselves and just drive them. Pity that so many went to convert their 427s to SC look, which, ironically, made them look like Replicas...

That said, I find that the purchase of a higher "continuation SC" number, 3058 and up, is good value for money. You may find one just slightly more expensive than a CSX4000.
I got one offered a while back, with no engine. I could get a Chevy 454 for it... ;-)

Sorry, I am too weak today to lift the latest registry and check the correct terminology.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A little information sharing Dominik, nothing more, don't read so much into it.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

:-)

No worries, have a nice sunday!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: