Thread: 427 s/o Rockers
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Something is going bad

BAsque1 BA, How about a first name, use and Alais if needed.
I am going need a couple of questions answered
Is this a solid or hydro lifter motor??
Does this motor have any oil modifcations done to it?
How many miles on it?
Have the valves been checked for correct lash if solid lifters? do this first and road test the car. If noise returns soon, we have a problem. Remove the oil filter and open it. Look for metal partials in it. If found, this motor get an overhaul.

Here's the thing, and you will not like this, Pull the intake and take out each lifter and check for trueless on the base with a flat edge. Also check the camshaft lobes for wear pattern. If this noise just started, and you can run either roller lifters, ( solid or Hydro ) and lose 1 or a couple. FE motors with the poor oil qualitity we get today have issues. IF the motor is a solid lifter, either roller or old style, they don't like to idle and they do need good oil spash to stay lubed. I am not going into the oil pressure issue and why I think that high pressure is needed, today. I am hoping you have min of 35 psi on the gauge at idle. 40 would be better, IMO.

Hydro lifters can collapse also.

To replace an SO block if you can find one that is not sleeved or .060" over is getting hard. What does the little guy on your shoulder say?? Listen to him, he right about 99% of the time.

If the motor has roller lifters the bars that keep the lifter straight in the bores could be worn out. I don't know how long the bars and steel studs last. I have hydro rollers with up grades and no failures from 8 years of racing.

Bas pull the intake and go through the valve train. Will take time but think you will fine something when apart. Save the FE dinosaurs. Summer is almost over. Good luck Rick L.