View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

I would have loved to have Barry and Jay in the room to watch the crazy numbers , but I didn't know them then. Inglese and two other Weber guys all had a chance at a 482 mule with Webers at one session on the dyno. Fred Lorenson's HM guy was there also. at one other time with think about a 438 inch stock stroke 427 HR motor to be fair.. He said that's more power than Lorenson, sp? or Andretti ever had. I have a great story about the first four tunnel ports heads ever made that he told me in Charlotte. A great story when we were on the dyno all day, all afternoon, and into the night non stop run after run. At three a.m. two police come to arrest us all for disturbing the peace. They stay, both of them order pizza and just go crazy watching me, my guy and two other lunatics make cam timimg changes, valve lashing loop after loop, ignition timing up and down, and even distributor changes with different curves when we were working on low and mid range for best average power long before the engine masters had that idea, looking for the best combination to make 5 or 10 more usable horsepower. We had top end numbers that were stupid already. I had to fly back to Florida the next day so we had to finish and none of us slept. Expensive day. The cops left when they had shift change. After watching all night, one said as he left, we came here to arrest you for disturbing the peace and take you to jail but after watching the craziness in the dyno cell the cop said I think we should call the crew in the white coats and take you to loony bin at the hospital. You guys are all totally nuts with this motor. I said yes we are and thanks for stopping by.One of our guys identifed me to the cops as a real trauma surgeon, suggesting there was some normalcy of thought and reason. As they left I heard him wisper. "That tall one that they say is a doctor --- he should know better, he's just as nuts as the others except he's wearing long sleeves, protective safety goggles and surgical gloves. That night was close to a divorce for three of the lunatics. Like I said Patty is very understanding. She also responds very well to bribes. Tomorrow a discussion close to the hearts of all Cobra guys "Quick jacks how they were before they even went on the plane or boat from AC to Shelby American. Another, I think funny, funny story with the GT350 H 4 speed car that my Dad rented for me in the summer of 66. They're calling me to start working. By Bob