Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

Even my orgnal car engne builder liked it. He said this pulls very strong. He knows strong very very well. He has all four NHRA AA/GT class records, both ends, stick and automatic with his and a customer's ca. A legal Cleveland and a legal 428 CobraJet torn down multiple times as he keeps lowering his records at National Meets. Great friend of over 40 years. Puts up with me which is a big deal. I handcuff him with original parts on the outside of our motors but skies the limit on internals. We took and original Cobra dry sump tank, yes an original, and sent it to the premier Dry Sump guy in the U. S. , he had about 25 tanks on the starting line of the Daytona 500, and had him convert the insides of the tank to his best road race specifications. You can imagine the favor he did for us. I also have a dry sump post for everyone. I sort of smile a little when that topic comes up, and everyone thinks they know exactly how it was. Not sure how many but I think three untouched left. Anyone have a picture of a Cobra not a modified GT40 II dry sump pan, first design. You all know there were three 427 pans. Off the subject, sorry. Many great dyno stories. Big, big , big FE motors. 14 to 1 motors, 48mm to 58 mm back to back quick change runs. continued
Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default alive and well

I would have loved to have Barry and Jay in the room to watch the crazy numbers , but I didn't know them then. Inglese and two other Weber guys all had a chance at a 482 mule with Webers at one session on the dyno. Fred Lorenson's HM guy was there also. at one other time with think about a 438 inch stock stroke 427 HR motor to be fair.. He said that's more power than Lorenson, sp? or Andretti ever had. I have a great story about the first four tunnel ports heads ever made that he told me in Charlotte. A great story when we were on the dyno all day, all afternoon, and into the night non stop run after run. At three a.m. two police come to arrest us all for disturbing the peace. They stay, both of them order pizza and just go crazy watching me, my guy and two other lunatics make cam timimg changes, valve lashing loop after loop, ignition timing up and down, and even distributor changes with different curves when we were working on low and mid range for best average power long before the engine masters had that idea, looking for the best combination to make 5 or 10 more usable horsepower. We had top end numbers that were stupid already. I had to fly back to Florida the next day so we had to finish and none of us slept. Expensive day. The cops left when they had shift change. After watching all night, one said as he left, we came here to arrest you for disturbing the peace and take you to jail but after watching the craziness in the dyno cell the cop said I think we should call the crew in the white coats and take you to loony bin at the hospital. You guys are all totally nuts with this motor. I said yes we are and thanks for stopping by.One of our guys identifed me to the cops as a real trauma surgeon, suggesting there was some normalcy of thought and reason. As they left I heard him wisper. "That tall one that they say is a doctor --- he should know better, he's just as nuts as the others except he's wearing long sleeves, protective safety goggles and surgical gloves. That night was close to a divorce for three of the lunatics. Like I said Patty is very understanding. She also responds very well to bribes. Tomorrow a discussion close to the hearts of all Cobra guys "Quick jacks how they were before they even went on the plane or boat from AC to Shelby American. Another, I think funny, funny story with the GT350 H 4 speed car that my Dad rented for me in the summer of 66. They're calling me to start working. By Bob
Old 05-29-2015, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty442 View Post
..."Quick jacks how they were before they even went on the plane or boat from AC to Shelby American...
I'm very curious about that before.
Thanks
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Like I said. A book would be in order. Interesting stuff.

Can you comment on this Shelby "stash" and these new comp cars with the old completion CSX 3000 chassis being sold?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Great stories, Bob, thanks for sharing.
Can't wait for tomorrow's..
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Bob: Also spoke to Billy this a.m. about the restoration he did on you car. He said your car is over the top and unbelievable. He has CSX 4206 right now for the "spa" treatment and fitting SW fuel pumps.

Can you post pics of your car in the thread I started last summer "Heavy Metal..."....?

Regards,

Evan
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

OnyxRider 2.0
Old 05-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Onyx Rider 2.0?

Not really. Before you post check your facts.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
OnyxRider 2.0
Is it this the weekend when you gotta make the kitty litter run to PETCO? Have fun dragging those sacks back on the #6 train.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Neutral     

I'd sooner believe NYG is OnyxRider before patty442...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Bob: Also spoke to Billy this a.m. about the restoration he did on you car. He said your car is over the top and unbelievable. He has CSX 4206 right now for the "spa" treatment and fitting SW fuel pumps.

Can you post pics of your car in the thread I started last summer "Heavy Metal..."....?

Regards,

Evan
Evan

Do you want the original fiberglass template for the hood scoop so he can fix your rivet pattern . I'll be just off "Blue Jay Ct" in a week or two.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 05-29-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
OnyxRider 2.0
Ok - that was funny. I know guys - don't feed the troll. But you gotta admit it was funny.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Bob...this is what I was hoping for. You're doing fine. If you have any pictures and have trouble posting them, send me a PM and I'll send you my email to send them to me.

Interesting you got your car in Fresno...a lot of originals around here in the old days, and even today.

Like you, I have an early Kirkham with mostly original-type stuff, save for the adjustable pre-arruminum front suspension taken from David's car...Boghosian built the motor. I also just flat out stole the first Kirkham arruminum gear shift knob from the lathe that was intended for David's car...a kid named Sammich looked the other way for a moment.

Keep it coming...

Last edited by Jamo; 05-30-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I suppose I may be responsible for your interest in this thread as I mentioned the SAAC article about you, your car and your stash of original Cobra parts back on page 22 of this thread.

Since we seem to be introducing ourselves, my name is Ken McFadden, I live in East Coventry PA. I have been a SAAC member since the early 80's and would eventually like to get a Cobra replica, but a divorce a few years ago has derailed quite a few of my plans and shifted my priorities.

In my post I said: "Do you suppose it is possible that with the restoration of CSX3133 complete that Bob might have sold part of his collection of NOS parts?"

Have you sold any of your stash? Or do you just plan on holding on to it?
Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

At the risk of being presumptuous, I'm pretty sure Bob worked to create his stash so that, years later, he could sell it off in bits to the owners of various Cobra reproductions in the hope it might beef up the waning discussions on the CC site as to whose replica was, in fact, "most original."
RodKnock and rodneym like this.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

All or most of his parts will be found on various Factory 5 builds, Superformance, and a few Kirkahms, NOT< NOT< NOT...
Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

That's why these cars are so cool, because of the stories and the history that goes along with them, Real or Kit or Replica, they all have a cool story...and they drive amazing...
Old 05-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

I understand from Billy that Bobs car is restored to the "9s". Would love to see pics posted in the "Heavy Metal" thread.

Ned, you meant "provocative" not presumptuous, right? ; )
Old 05-30-2015, 04:35 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedsel View Post
at the risk of being presumptuous, i'm pretty sure bob worked to create his stash so that, years later, he could sell it off in bits to the owners of various cobra reproductions in the hope it might beef up the waning discussions on the cc site as to whose replica was, in fact, "most original." :3dsmile:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
At the risk of being presumptuous, I'm pretty sure Bob worked to create his stash so that, years later, he could sell it off in bits to the owners of various Cobra reproductions in the hope it might beef up the waning discussions on the CC site as to whose replica was, in fact, "most original."
I nominate THIS^^^ for post of the year here on CC.

Bob, the 1st owner of the "Resurrection", er, "Completion", er, "Competition" Cobra is on Line 3. Do you want to take the call?
Nedsel likes this.