View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I don't know about a pull-type clutch system. On my push-type system the spring internal to the slave cylinder pushes the rod against the fork and the TO bearing against the clutch. Thus the idea for an external return spring is to overcome the pressure from the internal spring when the clutch is engaged. Because of the pedal arm length and multiplication effect, the additional spring isn't something you will feel in operating the clutch. It will also return the clutch pedal but that's a secondary purpose.

You don't need a gorilla spring for this. Similar to brake pads the spinning clutch plate fingers will have enough return pressure and enough irregularity to tend to kick the TO bearing back - the sping just helps hold it from returning to contact with the clutch plate fingers, or at least any significant contact. At least that's the case if you have a little free play at the top of the clutch linkage travel.