Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen2 View Post
Attachment 26297

The way I see it. Don't think I have heard of a better analogy.

1960's (Original) Rolex Submariner - (Continuation) New Rolex Submariner

Both are genuine Rolex Submariners. There are plenty of knock offs for much less but bring them into a Rolex dealer and they quickly tell you its not a Rolex. Same can be done with a inspection of a Shelby Cobra by a qualified Shelby expert and by referencing its CSX vin # via the Registry.

I apply the same logic to the (Original) Shelby Cobras and the Aluminum (Continuations). Both similar in nature with same company building them. Im sure there aren't many employees left building new Rolexes that built the first original Submariners, but the company still makes Genuine name brand product today. The early (Original) Rolex Submariners are very coveted by the collectors who own the handful of them out there. Some own both. "In house movement" may apply some how as well to this analogy...LOL

Sorry to add another line in this never ending topic. After seeing it at the top of the page the last few times I opened the site, I had to click on it, and for fun add my 2 Cents.

In all reality we will all be dead or close to it in 40 years who knows what the cars may or may not be worth then. Im pretty sure none of us will be right if we guessed today. What ever we own, we own because we liked it enough to step up and buy it, who cares what anyone else thinks. Drive the hell out of it and have fun! Cheers boys!
Evan, here it comes.

I'm not a "watch person" and know nothing about them. And I don't wear them. But the newer Rolex is CLEARLY A REPLICA. Same logic. IMO.

First, a watch is obviously not a car. Watches don't have to meet Federal safety and emissions regulations, which have dramatically changed automobiles over the past 50 years. If the watch was regulated by the Federal government, then watches would be completely different, even a Rolex.

Second, I'm going to assume that the watch building process and materials have changed over the last 30-50 years, no? The older Rolex is likely made differently using different metallurgy. So are the modern Shelby Cobra replicas. Does the newer Rolex use OEM parts and building processes from the 1960's?

Third, "coveted schmuveted." The older Rolex worth 5-10x more than the newer Rolex? 1960's Cobras are worth $1,000,000-$5,000,000. The most expensive Shelby replica will be the Resurrection Cobras at $500,000 per copy with $50,000 going to charity according to the press release. The 4000 series replicas are roughly $200,000+/-.

Fourth, did Rolex stop building watches for 30 years and change it corporate entity? Carroll Shelby International/Shelby American did.

Different processes, different company, different employees, different parts, and built 30-50 years after the original.

The modern Shelbys are replicas as are the modern Rolexes. To me anyway.

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-31-2015 at 09:08 PM..