Thread: Bad Starter
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Oh that sucks!
So I need this inductive type to measure higher amps? I think my multi-meter is supposed to measure 10 amps unfused.
So was this with the car running or not running?
Both with the engine running and not running -- for this it doesn't make a difference. With the negative battery cable going to the passenger side head, and the lights and fans having their negative path via the frame, the majority of the current has to run through that one black wire (or something not as good, like motor mounts, brake components, etc.) Adding supplementary grounds, one a strap from the intake manifold to a bolt on the firewall, and the second was a beautifully crafted 4 gauge wire, with crimped and torch soldered ends, that goes from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame itself. Doing all of that brought the current that was running through that little black wire down to one third of what it originally was. And, it could have just been my imagination, but the starter seemed to crank better as well.