View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

SydneyChris, haven't heard of any changes. But the growing list of additional requirements has unfortunately been the situation for quite a while now from our experience. Imagine trying to scratch build a kit car these days, the testing and certification etc. would be crippling. Just working through the rego requirements is complex and time consuming enough, let alone complying with them.

With the PACE 427, we really do supply more than 2 inches of documentation to each engineer. There is also a 7+ page detailed specification sheet listing every safety critical component used and variations. Due to the amount of paperwork supplied we have even created an index page that in itself is 3 pages long to be able to lookup and find the required reports.

The RTA coming out to personally inspect kits after engineering approval I believe to be a standard thing now. All of our PACE 427's in NSW that have gone through engineering recently have had a personal RTA inspection performed.

As SydneyChris has found out, it does not matter what type or brand of kit you get approved this days, the paperwork requirement is extensive. Doesn't matter if the kit has been previously approved, for new approvals you need all of the paperwork.

SydneyChris, on a positive note, don't let it get you down, just work through each item. I hope you can understand that unfortunately we just don't have the resources to assist others with detailed engineering advice, we have more than enough on our plate just with the Pace kits. But if there are any components we use in common, you are more than welcome to contact us to see what we can do to help. So maybe just email through a list of items you have issues with and we can see if we have documentation on them. You might get lucky on some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
If this is actually the case I would want to be a Pace builder.
Tenrocca, just fixed that for you. If there are any additional requirements we just provide the certifications/reports or perform the testing required.

Just keep in mind donor parts are not the whole story. For example, you can have a donor steering column but you still need to have certified mounting points that meet the required performance criteria and justify that the steering column would actually provide the designed level of safety in a frontal collision. So would mean comparing the performance and installation from the donor vehicle and replicate that installation in your kit car. If you can't then you do what we do and test and certify. With donor parts you are always going back somewhere to fabricated mounts, even with donor suspension, so means that these mounts need to be certified strong enough and the mounting positions/angles meet the required performance criteria e.g. bump steer, etc. Also don't forget about the fasteners used, you may need to use 10.9 grade bolts for example on brakes. We certainly do to meet the required level of strength and safety.